Looking for advice on breeding Discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LostInFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Any advice would be appreciated. I know the basics about cycling a tank and I have a API master test kit. Some of my eggs turn white on day 2 and they eat them all on day 2 my water
Perimeters are gh5 kh5 ph7.6 I just started using RO water 10/1 ratio puts me at gh0-1 kh5 ph6.8 Please help so I can have some fry. I am new to RO and using it.

Hi your TdS could be too high you want. A reading of 200 or lower . That could be the reason also a ph of around 6.5 is best . Discus ain't easy to breed that's why there expensive . I been breeding them for years but took me years to learn how to successfully breed this species . Are you new to breeding ?

Yes I am new to breeding. My TDS is 100 ppm so it's not that I started using Seachem acid regulator with neutral regulator and using RO/DI water 10:1 RO Tap

Well along as you got a confirmed pair .mall you have to do is feed them good food do a lot of water changes and wait

Yeah you want tds to zero . You want your ppm below 200 . But like I said before there's alot of time and money involved in breeding discus . If u do get a good spawn and they survive . You'll need to feed them 2-3 times a day and do just as many water changes a day. You'll also need a lot of tank space for the fry to grow in . At least a 48" tank. And unless you can sell the first batch quick you'll need multiple tanks as your breeding pairs will lay about every 10 days .

There's a lot of time involved

Yes I'm aware of the time and tanks needed to do this I'm not looking to breed forever just want to try it and see what happens :)

Discus are hatched almost free swimmers. Thanks to everyone who has helped to get this far. :)

Attachments

• image-2789790935.jpg
    image-2789790935.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 70
  • image-3402433224.jpg
    image-3402433224.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 73
Back
Top Bottom