Looking for advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the help guys :). I'll keep an eye out, but pretty convinced its not ich now

Ok, just an update. Tank has just fully cycled, hurrah! Fish are showing no ill effects from the cycle. Both are very lively and eating well so happy days.

Now I have been thinking a lot about the 2 fish I have. Because they are common goldfish, i know they are gonna outgrow the 25gallons fast! I do have plans to buy a 75 gallon tank in the next few months, but I want to use this as a tropical tank, not goldfish. So I dont know what to do about the goldfish... I have really grown attached to them, which is why I want to do something about them outgrowing the tank...

I live in Ireland, so I'm pretty sure there are not many people here who own ponds that I could donate them to. Another option could be giving them back to my local fish store for free. But I would be afraid that they would be resold and put in the exact same situation as they began with me, which was in a tiny plastic bowl. They might not get so lucky with their next owner!

Other than that, the only option I have is to keep them in the 25gallon. I know their growth will the stunted and their life expectancy will drop considerably, but I feel it will be better than being resold in a bowl.

I know its my own fault for not researching before I got them in the first place. What started out as a lil pet for my daughter has turned into a full blown hobby for me! Well let me know what you think.

Don't assume no one has ponds or pond fish! Take some time to search out possible resources. Your local aquatics shop, garden supply stores, aquatic breeders or vets, local fish or koi clubs, the classifieds, etc. The Internet is a great resource, too. You may not find them a happy home tomorrow but you will with some searching. In the meantime, just stay on top of your water changes. Good luck! :)

I did a bit of looking. A good place to start would be to google 'koi ireland'. There's actually an Irish sector for the BKKS (British koi keepers) with a home page and contact info. I also saw rescue/preloved info for goldfish/pond fish on some other sites. There's help out but you will need to do some legwork. :)

Back
Top Bottom