Looking for advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As I mentioned before about one if the fish chasing the other. Well I found white spots on his gills, but nowhere else on his body. I read that it could be breeding stars as the tank they're in now is warmer than the last one so it could have brought it on.

This was about a week ago. The chasing has stopped, but he still has the white spots. I'm worried it might be ich. If they are breeding stars will he keep them for life? How can I tell the difference between that and ich?

I'm battling ich now. Does it like specks of salt or look like someone sprinkled it with powered sugar?

It looks like little specs of salt I guess. There's about 8 on each of his gills. Looked at your pics and its not even close to looking like that (poor lil guy). Yours stand out a lot more where as you have to look really closely to see the ones on mine.

If it was ich would it spread to the rest of his body too? I guess I can just leave it for the moment and see of it gets any worse. Don't want to medicate if its not needed.

It looks like little specs of salt I guess. There's about 8 on each of his gills. Looked at your pics and its not even close to looking like that (poor lil guy). Yours stand out a lot more where as you have to look really closely to see the ones on mine.

If it was ich would it spread to the rest of his body too? I guess I can just leave it for the moment and see of it gets any worse. Don't want to medicate if its not needed.

Sounds like it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=pic...O80AHO3YDgCA&ved=0CC4QsAQ&biw=320&bih=504#p=0

Ich can wipe a whole tank out. If you suspect ich I would start by raising the temp slowly to 86-87 degrees. I wouldn't wait.

Please do not treat your fish yet. Can you possibly post a pic of his gills? How big is he? It may not be ich but breeding tuberucles. They are easily confused with ich as they appear as white dots/specs. Take a close look at his pectoral fins (front side fins), do you see any tiny little white bubbles or bumps on them as well?

Turning the hat up right now until you can ID for sure isn't going to harm anything. But I wouldn't use meds...

Turning the hat up right now until you can ID for sure isn't going to harm anything. But I wouldn't use meds...

Turning the heat up will a coldwater fish is not sage advice. Great for tropicals though! I suspect it may not be ich but we will need pics for an ID.

Turning the heat up will a coldwater fish is not sage advice. Great for tropicals though! I suspect it may not be ich but we will need pics for an ID.

Ok not gonna debate this with you. Increasing the heat even with goldfish is the norm and so is using salt.

I've been researching ich for while now and came across many treatments. Increasing heat is one of them for any fish.

Although it is a HIGHLY debatable subject I have ran across numerous goldfish forums and other forums as well that suggest increasing the heat to at least 80 degrees. So... My temp may have been off but the method remains the same IMO.

I agree pics would help greatly but I'm dealing with it now I don't see any reason to wait, if it is ich it's growing and reproducing as we speak. OP can always turn the heat down if it turns out its not. If it is.... OP is ahead so to speak....

The only advice I agree with on this thread is jsoong's and he even states high 70's to possibly 80f is the max for heat. 80f is tolerable but simply not necessary. Salt alone at .3% is more than sufficient to treat ich in goldfish and is the only method I use or advocate.

Retract my statement about 86 degrees. You are correct about that. 80 degrees being the max.

Hey if we always agreed with everything and everyone we would never learn right? I just learned something myself. I keep thinking cichlids because that's what I'm dealing with.

Reactions: jlk
I'll try get a proper pic tomorrow to post. I won't make any decisions till you see the pics and I get your opinions.

Ok so here are some pics. As I said its kinda hard to see so I uploaded a few.

Attachments

• image-1197751513.jpg
    image-1197751513.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 34
  • image-2139000433.jpg
    image-2139000433.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 42
  • image-3102017330.jpg
    image-3102017330.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 31
  • image-3029478340.jpg
    image-3029478340.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 32
  • image-690141921.jpg
    image-690141921.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 33
  • image-2562585569.jpg
    image-2562585569.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 36
Third pic on top looks like breeding tubercles. Granted, I'm looking at this on my cell and it's bit difficult to see. Just observe him for now. There's no reason to treat him unless you see spots developing everywhere- then he likely has ich. I'll post a link later or tomorrow with some clear pics of what they look like so you can make a comparison.

Some of those pics are bad cases of ich- a lot of them are definitely NOT. Picture number 13 (shot of black goldfish's head/front) clearly shows breeding tubercles on the gill plate and pectoral fin. A good example for comparison! Thanks for the pic! :)

Ahh! Missed the second link! Thank you very much! Saved me from chasing my males around with a camera, lol!! There's some very clear pics in that link, too. :)

Fish can live for a long time without eating, so don't get to worried unless it is a prolonged period of time. The reasoning for them not eating is most likely the home change. You do not need to turn off the filter during feeding, but it can't hurt either if you want to.

Back
Top Bottom