looking for barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rider6

Aquarium Advice Activist
Looking for some cool barbs to school up with my green barbs, any suggestions??? I don't want the average fish store ones, something with cool vibrant colors...

Looking for some cool barbs to school up with my green barbs, any suggestions??? I don't want the average fish store ones, something with cool vibrant colors...

As far as barbs normally found at LFS's .. Gold Barbs and Denison Barbs ... IMO. Especially the Denison Barb, Hands down!!

Is there a good internet place with some cool specialtys, my lfs is really small and kinda leaning more towards the salt side of the house....

And since they are all barbs they should school up well as well right? And I'm liking the colors on those denisons!

Odessas!!
Wwoyr.jpg

had a school of about 10 in my last tank.. they are beautiful!!

And since they are all barbs they should school up well as well right? And I'm liking the colors on those denisons!

Different species of barbs will tolerate each other, but not all school together. BTW a big +1 on Odessa Barbs, can't believe I forgot about them. Regular TB's look great if you get those were the stripes are separated ... Many TBs have black in between patches That run for one stripe to another and you lose that stripe effect.

Denisons look MUCH more striking in person!

Black ruby, checker, 5-banded and melon barbs are all nice looking.

I actually was at my lfs last night to get some spider style wood and I caught them 3 days after a shipment, with the next one tomarrow, but..... I came accross the last two snake skin barbs...I love them and he said they only get them every few months and the shipment had 12 in it....so of course I took the last 2...lol

Ditto on the Odessa barbs, I have a school of them and they just recently bred. A few of the fry are on the border of being called juveniles. They will eat ANYTHING you throw in the tank, but will not touch the plants. They are extremely active and really color-up nicely when they are hungry and in a ratio of 1 male to 2 females.

David

Black ruby and tiger barbs are my favorites. Black ruby barbs are less aggressive than the tigers but both are VERY entertaining

Back
Top Bottom