Looking for cichlids that don't hide?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mickrabb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I currently have about fifteen fish in a 4 foot tank - 3 clown loaches, 2 golden severums, 2 silver sharks, 1 pleco, 1 blue dolphin cichlid, 1 electric yello, 2 firemouth, and 1 jewel cichlid.

What else can I get that might be a little more visible during the day. A lot if my cichlids spend a lot of time hiding.

Mick

Welcome to AA!

I would not recommend adding an oscar period, and right now I think you should hold off on adding new fish entirely.

It is likely that your fish are hiding due to stress. You have some fish together that aren't really compatible in the long term. Your Mbuna (blue dolphin, electric yellow) are African Rift Lake cichlids and would prefer harder water than your other fish, and they have different dietary needs (more plant based foods) than your other fish.

Your silver sharks (likely bala sharks) get quite large, are easily startled, and would do better in larger groups. As adults, a group of bala sharks would need a larger tank than what you probably have. They might be ok for now, but IMO you should consider rehoming them eventually.

Your severums and firemouth are Central American cichlids. They are generally compatible; however, since you have 2 severums (these grow pretty large), I'd recommend a minimum of 75 gallons for these fish as adults.

Your jewel is a west African riverine cichlid. It is more similar in dietary needs and preferred water parameters to your Central American cichlids. Jewels can be quite aggressive. This may or may not work out in the long term.

Your clown loaches will eventually grow quite large, given proper care. It will take years, but these will eventually need a larger tank than what you probably have.

Do you know what kind of pleco you have? If it is a common pleco, these get absolutely huge and really should not even be sold IMHO, as the vast majority of hobbyists (myself included!) are not prepared to house these monsters in the long term.

I realize that most of the information in my post is not at all what you want to hear. If you are willing to re-work your stock list and plan the tank around either African rift lake cichlids OR Central American cichlids, I think we can help you figure something out where your fish won't hide so much. :)

My male victorian fire hap and my vieja are very social!!!

I don't want to be a negative Nancy here, but these fish are not compatible in the long term. I think you will eventually end up with just the Vieja.

Thank you guys for all your help with my question.

Being a bit of a newbie sometimes all you can go off is the advice that your local aquarium staff provide you. I was told initially that although the pH for the African cichlids is a little higher that can adapt to a pH around 7.5. Again this could be wrong?

In terms of the fish getting too large. In that instance I would most certainly either upgrade the size of the tank or take them to someone who could accommodate them. I wasn't aware of how large they could grow.

I have decided in the meantime to hold off purchasing anymore fish as I think there is enough here. They have actually come out a lot more today. From my reading they don't appear to be stressed (no gasping for air etc) but I will keep a close eye on them as there health is my priority.

Thanks again,
Mick

I don't want to be a negative Nancy here, but these fish are not compatible in the long term. I think you will eventually end up with just the Vieja.

Thanks for your advice but I was just trying to let him know about which of my fish are social...

I see, but the question was what cichlids the OP should add to the current stock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

The best thing to do is research fish before you buy them for yourself. Most of the time people at the store either don't know or don't care what goes in your tank. Or, research what fish you want before you go and only get that fish you researched. The slower you go and more you read will lead to a high quality product and less toilet flushes.

The best thing to do is research fish before you buy them for yourself. Most of the time people at the store either don't know or don't care what goes in your tank. Or, research what fish you want before you go and only get that fish you researched. The slower you go and more you read will lead to a high quality product and less toilet flushes.

This is good advice, especially for people that are just getting started. I would wager to say that most of us here probably started out with tanks that were stocked inappropriately. It gets easier with research and experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

U should look at tomato red and franidsa cichlids I have them my self and a jahonni cichlid I have them and they are a blast to watch!!!

Oscars cichlids have a good personality. You can train them to eat of your hand. I've had mine only to months and is already eating out of my hand. My tank is right next to my bed and he/she hangs out right next to side of the tank closes to my bed. I enjoy oscars a lot

As usual. Mama is right!

Yup she is.
You should really decide through research which fish you want to keep and take most of them back. You will not have a good experience in the hobby otherwise. You will constantly be fighting bad water and sick and dying fish along with stress from this there will aggression which can quite often be murderous.

Back
Top Bottom