Looking for CPR Bakpak II Rio replacement pump???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomas21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
MY CPR Bakpak II Rio when out and I was considering trying another manufacture pump.. I have read people suggest using a maxijet 900 or 1200 with a venturi kit. Does anyone have advice? A webpage with info on the conversion.

Has anyone tried the Maxijet Turbo Venturi Kit?

What do you think about getting the following from PA for my Bakpak or is the prefilter sponge overkill

Maxijet 1200 Powerhead
Maxijet Turbo Venturi Kit
Maxijet Prefilter Sponge - 2pk
sponge.jpg

I'm not sure how you could use a prefilter sponge with this setup :?. With the preskimmer box you can use a sponge, but I chose not to use it.

phases99 said:
I'm not sure how you could use a prefilter sponge with this setup :?. With the preskimmer box you can use a sponge, but I chose not to use it.

The prefilters slip over the intake grating of the powerhead. They will keep them from getting clogged in the impeller by detris and small critters.

I was just using this as a precaution from getting an anemone or small fish stuck in the intake area of this filter.

The set up you listed will work fine on your bak pak. I have sold the same set up to many customers who upgraded there back pak. The response has always been positive after the modification.

venturi

Check with your vendor on this one...

I just got a maxijet last night and it appeared to come with a venturi kit standard...

No the venturi that comes with the Maxi will not function properly in a skimmer application. Water will actually spray out of it from the back pressure. The aftermarket Maxi venturi kit mounts on the impellar intake of the pump and draws air into the impellar chamber

You will need the special adapter Darin is talking about to use it on the Bakpak. It will not allow the use of a prefilter. I bought mine with the Maxijet preinstalled. CPR seems to guide everyone to http://amekaaquatics.com for parts.

I just got the kit and installed the maxijet 1200, venturi kit, and prefilter over the venturi kit. Works like a charm... prefilter grabs a lot of debris instead of going in the intake. Rio seems to have a little better venturi action though but the maxijet isn't bad.

Here is what the MJ1200 looks like with the correct venturi attachment for use with a skimmer:

MJ1200venturi.JPG

This is different than the venturi that comes with the powerheads. This setup put the air BEFORE the impeller so the bubbles get chopped up more. The prefilter just slips on where the venturi attach and powerhead connect.

That's exactly what I have.. with the prefilter carefully pulled through the external air line and over the venturi action.

Nice pic

Back
Top Bottom