Looking for easy to care for plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crinkledaces

Aquarium Advice Regular
Was wondering what plants would be good to keep in my aquariums I just have the fluorescent lights for plants that U buy at petsmart nothing special.

Was wondering what plants would be good to keep in my aquariums I just have the fluorescent lights for plants that U buy at petsmart nothing special.

Bolbitus
Java fern
Anubias
Java moss

That's about all you can have with that lighting. And those are all pretty much unkillable

Hello Crink...

You can also get Cryptocoryne, and float Anacharis (Common water weed) and Pennywort.

B

Really Beautiful plants you can have are ones like Anubias Berteri (very broad leaves look for the berteri name if you buy them online) Another is Water Wisteria, and Water sprite. I love those plants.. Once wisteria starts to really grow it looks awesome.. same with water sprite. and the anubias..

Java Ferns IMO are ugly but they grow in low light... You can also get the Marimo Mass balls in petsmart.. Petsmart sells the real Moss balls for like $7 in small plastic containers (petco sells fake ones).

Lights in petsmart aren't bad... You can buy duel t5 lights from them, and they also sell bulbs specially for plants.. Like FloraMax, and even colormax will work for plants a lot better then Fullspectrum lights which have zero REDS in them.. The only downside to colormax and floramax is they are pink bulbs so they aren't "bright" to your eyes and will make the tank look kinda dark if you only have 1 bulb.

I have 3 normal hood lights over my hexagon lol it doesn't look too pretty but I am able to keep harder to grow and colored plants in my tank because of it

If you look at my pictures.. The first pic on the very left the big awesome looking plant is the anubias berteri that I have.. Remember there are many types of Anubias mine is the broad leafed one.. The plant in the sorta middle in the back the short one is wisteria.. and if you look on the left under my anubias I have a green marimo moss ball down there

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j385/enclave12/20130829_002212_zps08771a89.jpg

This picture the big tall green plant in the middle is Water sprite the tall one on the right that looks like watersprite is water wisteria

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j385/enclave12/20130904_181546_zpsb133c5c5.jpg

Really Beautiful plants you can have are ones like Anubias Berteri (very broad leaves look for the berteri name if you buy them online) Another is Water Wisteria, and Water sprite. I love those plants.. Once wisteria starts to really grow it looks awesome.. same with water sprite. and the anubias..

Java Ferns IMO are ugly but they grow in low light... You can also get the Marimo Mass balls in petsmart.. Petsmart sells the real Moss balls for like $7 in small plastic containers (petco sells fake ones).

Lights in petsmart aren't bad... You can buy duel t5 lights from them, and they also sell bulbs specially for plants.. Like FloraMax, and even colormax will work for plants a lot better then Fullspectrum lights which have zero REDS in them.. The only downside to colormax and floramax is they are pink bulbs so they aren't "bright" to your eyes and will make the tank look kinda dark if you only have 1 bulb.

I have 3 normal hood lights over my hexagon lol it doesn't look too pretty but I am able to keep harder to grow and colored plants in my tank because of it

If you look at my pictures.. The first pic on the very left the big awesome looking plant is the anubias berteri that I have.. Remember there are many types of Anubias mine is the broad leafed one.. The plant in the sorta middle in the back the short one is wisteria.. and if you look on the left under my anubias I have a green marimo moss ball down there

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j385/enclave12/20130829_002212_zps08771a89.jpg

This picture the big tall green plant in the middle is Water sprite the tall one on the right that looks like watersprite is water wisteria

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j385/enclave12/20130904_181546_zpsb133c5c5.jpg

Thank you very much for the info. Yes I think I have the color max bulb. It's def for plants just no anything special IMO. I'd love to get a 30 gallon planted tank going and maybe get some better lighting. U think led are a good route to go or would u try something else?

Leds that are good for plants are not cheap. The trick is to get (assuming you have only 2 bulbs) 1 roseate and 1 daylight. It gives the plants what they need and gives you the look you want.

One thing, if you get any Crypts, which btw there are several types to choose from, you need to also get some root tabs to use in the substrate by them as they are heavy root feeders and do much better when they are fertilized.

Back
Top Bottom