Looking for ideas for a 100G SW that came with our house.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GTIMANiac

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We just recently bought a house that has a 100G SW tank in the wall between 2 rooms. There is no live rock or coral, and the wife has the bug to make the tank "prettier" and ours. Looking for ideas.

From living room
normal_DSC_3236.JPG

Shot from the bedroom
normal_DSC_3262.JPG

Currently fish wise there is
Snowflake Eel
Niger Trigger
Yellow Tang
Blue Hippo
Dogface Puffer
Some unidentified fish need to get a good picture for you folks.

dang pretty fancy house there! nice that the tank came with the house. to really see the tank you would have to get a closer shot REAl closer. all i can see is an angelfish type thing and the tang.

I am away on business this week. I will take some better pictures when I get home this week, providing the hurricane does not get in the way of the flight home!

Below the tank on the MBR side, is the filter, UV sanitizer, etc.

WOW that is awsome!! Do you wanna make it Pretier fishwise or are you looking more for a reef tank with shroos, and stuff growing on the rocks?

If it was mine I would add some live rock for starters probably biggest majority in the middle to block some of the "view" to your bed room and all.

of course I am an amateur in Sw tanks just starting myself one so my opinion maybe way off.

i don't really know what fish wise you could get but i would definitely add some live rock in the middle,i just hate seeing big nice tanks look barren.....

I would really like to see a close up of the dog face puffer.....i kinda of want one after seeing a golden variety in a pet store thats was over a foot long...

I will take some better pictures when I get home. I am thinking a mix of live rock and some more fish. It is a large tank and very obviously a focal point for both the formal area and master bedroom.

The wife really wants a clown fish(s) and an anomie, but I think the eel has to go if she is set on that.

Beautiful tank and design, I'd love to have that kind of a set-up. I've actually thought about something similiar when I buy my next house. I wouldn't place the rock to shield the bedroom though. Think about maybe having a screen that can either be pulled down or electronically controlled to cover the tank from the bedroom side, if you were to need some privacy in the bedroom :oops: !

Ok, now I'm wanting to buy a new house! Can't wait to see some new pictures and progress as you go along.

buvaren said:
Beautiful tank and design, I'd love to have that kind of a set-up. I've actually thought about something similiar when I buy my next house. I wouldn't place the rock to shield the bedroom though. Think about maybe having a screen that can either be pulled down or electronically controlled to cover the tank from the bedroom side, if you were to need some privacy in the bedroom :oops: !

Ok, now I'm wanting to buy a new house! Can't wait to see some new pictures and progress as you go along.

The screen was ordered yesterday and will be here this week. (72"x96" Electric Scree) I am moving the DLP Projector from the living room to the bedroom. So the screen doubles as privacy and TV :)

So shielding with rocks / coral is not really going to be a goal. I would really like it to be as visually appealing from both sides.

Thanks for all the compliments guys. The tank was only one reason we fell in love with the house. The backyard is just as spectacular! And the lot is pretty big considering it is a house in Phoenix.

i dont think the eel will need to go if your set on having a clown/s and anenomes..

both my eels (zebra and snowflake are with clowns and they have never posed a threat to either) zebra with 2 tomatos snowflake with 2 ocellaris!!

cant wait to see close up shots!! :D

nice...and I hate to rain on your parade, but the tank is full as far as bioload is concerned. The puffer, eel and trigger are very heavy duty on the load. The puffer is going to get very big,as is the eel.

Well we are not really opposed to starting over. Everything but the Niger Trigger and Yellow Tang came with the house. I know the previous owner expressed interest in getting them back when his new house is complete.

The puffer is already pretty big, probably about 8-9" tip to tail, (I know he will get bigger), the eel is probably 14-16" or so.

Here is the dogface
DSC_3737.JPG

and another shot

DSC_3714.JPG

I need help identifying this one though.
DSC_3723.JPG

DSC_3739.JPG

Great tank and congrats on the home. Here is the thing...SW tanks are a bit labor intensive, especially if you have not had one before. People get SW tanks for two reasons. 1. they love the hobby and consider themselves "aquarists" and 2. as decoration. The later of the two generally use an in-home aquarium maintanance service to take care of the tank. Might be a good option for you as you get started. You can learn a lot from someone coming in and shoeing you the ropes. As y ustart to learn and grow s an aqurist you wil find the real joy that comes with keeping fish. Starting over is a great idea so you can customise the tank to your liking and really begin to personalize it. There is a lot of work involved with the process but it isure worth it.
Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!

Your current stock dictates no corals or inverts. I didnt see anything about lighting either. I dont know what your background is so please forgive me if I sound a little condesceding, but please do a lot of reading before diving into a reef tank. FOWLR may be the better start for you here even though triggers are notorious movers/diggers. Until you sell or find homes for some of the unsafe critters, your going to run into issues placing corals or any invert in there. Its a pretty agressive bunch you got.
BTW, damn fine looking setup!

-jealous.

Once you put live rock in the tank you're going to have to stay on top of maintenance to keep the coraline off of the glass. Do you have access to the tank from both rooms? Seems like that would get to be a hassle otherwise.

Have you made any progress in your thinking?

The current light setup leaves much to be desired. Years ago I had a tank with IceCap VHOs that worked out very well with the live rock and fish. So I ordered a 4 lamp 72" setup and will build the reflector hood and fit it in the wall in a week or so.

I was looking at the "key west" rock from www.liverocks.com anyone offer any thoughts positive or negative?

As far as access not only to the tank and equipment is only from the master bedroom side. As of yet I have not notice it being a pain. The biggest problem is that the tank sits pretty high up in the wall so you have to work off a ladder for all tank access with the exception of just dumping some food in.

liverocks.com keys rock is great. when you order tell what size tank you are using it for and they will try to hand pick some pieces that will work for your tank.

steve r

Back
Top Bottom