Looking for info on cross breeds with peacocks!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DUPRASAQUARIA

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I'm trying to get some information on cross breeds, specifically in peacocks. I have a wide variety of peacocks and found that my German red male was breeding with my eureka red female. She is holding eggs and I witnessed them doing the dance a few times, so I'm confident in which is the father.
Does anyone know what the babies will be and what someone would call this mixture. I certainly can't call them just German red or eureka red that would be false, as they are both.
I am hoping that this cross already exists and has a name and info, but I have not found any info online.

Oh really ok!!! ??? Somehow I thought there would be a name for them?? Somewhere I read that a German Red Cross with eureka red makes a super red eureka!?? Not sure if that's true...?!

Just makes a hybrid that should not IMO and many others be sold as it can mud the true species line if breed and sold as something other than hybrid

Well the German red is already a hybrid, so you are just gonna have worse hybrids really. I suggest leaving the female in the tank and letting her spit the fry. Most, possibly all, will be eaten, but if you're really curious, save a couple. Just please, don't give them away or sell them, even if YOU say they are a hybrid, not everyone else down the line will and that's where issues with hybrids begin. Don't want someone else labeling them as pure jacobfreibergi

Well the German red is already a hybrid, so you are just gonna have worse hybrids really. I suggest leaving the female in the tank and letting her spit the fry. Most, possibly all, will be eaten, but if you're really curious, save a couple. Just please, don't give them away or sell them, even if YOU say they are a hybrid, not everyone else down the line will and that's where issues with hybrids begin. Don't want someone else labeling them as pure jacobfreibergi

Yes I understand about the hybrids and will not continue this and or sell any of them!! I also agree that it's bad to mix the blood line, eventually there would be less and less pure strains available. I'm not sure from personal experience how they would colour up, but through some reading found most people say the colouring is lost in comparison to the pure breeds. I think I will put a couple in my egg tumbler just for personal curiosity, but will drop the rest in as egg food:(
Also I plan to separate her from my all male tank! I bought her from the local LFS as a male eureka red a while back and only now realized that he is a she and she's holding for her first time. Now I'm on the look for a nice show male eureka red to pair her up with:)!!, and also will be building another breeding tank for them.
I have been building my tanks with plywood and have been having goods success as well as high breeding counts. I think because it's all closed in and just a front glass pane?! Not sure...:)

Good to hear! Makes me proud to see someone taking care to preserve species for future generations!

I would be careful in trying just a breeding pair. Many malawian species do better in a harem situation (1 male:3 females) so just keep an eye on the male if you do try, he may harass her to death if he wants to breed and she isn't ready yet. If you can find a couple more females, I would definitely recommend a breeding tank for them! Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom