Looking for new opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tinyninjafishy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everybody,
I know this question has been asked a million times, but im looking for some new opinions on the matter. How do you breed fish to make money with a small amount of tanks? Also whats the best kind of fish? Do you start small with guppies, or with more expensive fish? Any input would be great.
Thanks

Hey everybody,
I know this question has been asked a million times, but im looking for some new opinions on the matter. How do you breed fish to make money with a small amount of tanks? Also whats the best kind of fish? Do you start small with guppies, or with more expensive fish? Any input would be great.
Thanks

The best way to breed fish to make money is to go to your local fish store and ask them what type of fish they would buy from you. Depending on what fish they say will determine how many tanks you will need.
I can tell you that lack of tankspace will seriously reduce the amount of fish you will raise to sell. The faster you can get your fish to salable size, the cheaper they will cost you to raise. The more tank space you have, the faster your fish will grow.

If you would like more specifics, feel free to PM me.(y)

Andy Sager said:
The best way to breed fish to make money is to go to your local fish store and ask them what type of fish they would buy from you. Depending on what fish they say will determine how many tanks you will need.
I can tell you that lack of tankspace will seriously reduce the amount of fish you will raise to sell. The faster you can get your fish to salable size, the cheaper they will cost you to raise. The more tank space you have, the faster your fish will grow.

If you would like more specifics, feel free to PM me.(y)

Now now I subscribe to this thread cause I wanted to know some answers aswell and thought I'd learn off of someone else thread. Basically because I'm not ready to go threw with it yet. So I vote no pm Haha ;)

What do you do if none of your lfs won't buy fish locally or privately?

Sorry to the op

Andrew McFadden said:
Now now I subscribe to this thread cause I wanted to know some answers aswell and thought I'd learn off of someone else thread. Basically because I'm not ready to go threw with it yet. So I vote no pm Haha ;)

If your willing ,you could sell them online.

If you're looking for the most profitable option, discus might be a good choice. A breeding pair might cost you an initial grand, but the fry survival rate is fairly high. You'll need a lot of maintenance, such as 100% water changes daily, high protein meals, and breeding cones. Discus care for their fry, and feed them with skin mucus when they're still little. So the fish parents will do most of the work for you until they get big enough to swim away on their own. I know a discus breeder who runs an operation out of one room in his basement. He has one commercial rack system for the pairs, a grow out tank, 50gal buckets of new water, and a supply room. Depending on the size he sells them at, each fish will bring in $20-$150. Multiply that by 50 or 80 fish and that turns a great profit. You've more than made back your initial investment. Keep in mind though, that discus have to be perfect in order to sell at a good price. Any imperfection and they're not worth anything. there's plenty of breeding books out there, I suggest you buy a few books and read up! :)

Sorry to the op

The original question was how to do it and make money so the answer is "by having the least amount of expenditures." To bring fish to a local shop requires a bucket and a portable airpump. Both are inexpensive to have ;). To send fish anywhere requires: Styro boxes, cardboard outer boxes, plastic bags, Rubber bands or ties, oxygen and fuel to take to shipper if company won't pick up. All these prices can flucuate based on the current economy and supply. Add to that the fact that some fish do die during transportation due to the way they are handled by the shipping company. All this costs money and not always fully recouped.
PLUS, the OP asked about doing it with limited tanks which could be a problem if they are trying to make real money doing this. For example: I used 4 tanks just for 1 pair of Angelfish. One of those tanks was a large volume of water to grow the fish out.

So to answer your question "what if the local store won't buy?" I'd suggest you either breed those fish you'd like to keep yourself or breed high valued fish that can absorb the cost increases and flucuations from shipping. (y)

Tank you everybody for the opinions! It really hopes knowing that there are people here to help you out when you need it. As for the discus, thats a no. I don't have that starting money. Asking the local fish store is very helpful! Thank you for that advice! One of the chain stores around me is moving just across the street, and they are selling all their old tanks! I am hopefully going to save some money by buying their tanks for real cheap. I know its not the most expensive fish, but I am currently breeding 6 guppies and have 8 fry about a week old. I am trying to get a couple more tanks from the store, and then am going to try and buy a trio of Red Lace Glass Belly guppies, and a tri of Leopard Tail guppies. A LFS said that they would gladly buy them, so hopefully that will get me started! Hope I may have helped someone!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom