Looking for Opinions on 28g Cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David14259

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello Folks,

I've been doing Freshwater for about a year now, and I'm starting to get the SW bug. I'd like to start with something small to get the hang of SW, and then invest in a pretty good size setup in a couple years. I'm still doing my initial research, but so far I like (trying to ignore the price) this tank:

http://www.jbjlighting.com/prod_28g_nano.html
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3730+18694&pcatid=18694

Does anyone have this tank? I'd love everyone's opinions on this for a starter tank. When I do something, I have to go all out, which is why I'm leaning toward the MH hood. I realize I'll probably have to get a smaller chiller for the tank, but I think I can live with that.

The only other issue I have is that I'm a college student, and the tank will have to be moved at least once a year for the next 1-2 years. Is this possible with salt water? With my 20g FW tank, I just take about 60% of the water out and throw it in the back of my SUV and everything does just fine. The only thought I had was to silicon/epoxy the rocks together, and possibly attach the whole pile to the bottom of the tank...is that anything?

Well this post is getting quite long and its rather late. Thanks for everyone's input.

Hello,
I am also looking for info about this tank so I'll follow this post.
About moving the tank, I would say that it will not be a problem if you do it well. I moved my 25 gallon 2 weeks ago and everything was fine.

About the tank your looking for, what I would like to know if about the system at the back. is it a good filter? does it have enough room to fit stuff in this?

For an "all-in-one" starter SW reef tank, I would say you have found a very good unit. It is nice to see the tank companies finally incorporatiing better lighting and a skimmer in some box tanks. My only suggestion for any nanocbue style tank is to ditch the fillter sponges, bioballs and ceramic rings supplied with these units and just fill the filtration compartments up with LR rubble. It will be a much better media.

As for moving tanks, I had a FW and SW tank in college and was required to move them once or twice a year. It is a pain in the butt but if you plan ahead, preapre and have plenty of extra SW, bags, buckets, etc. on hand you will be fine.

I totally agree with what Lando said and when I was in college I moved tanks upwards of 4 times. I also used to run a JBJ light setup and was very happy with thier product. HTH and good luck!

Thanks for the opinions, now I just have to talk myself into blowing my whole tax refund on this tank.

One more question, the hood doesn't come with any actinic lighting? I'm thinking it may be possible to install one or two CF actinics in the hood, is this worth anything or a waste?

Back
Top Bottom