Looking for some advice!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meladian

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone!!
I am wanting to set up a 10 gallon glass tank for a betta. I would like to put it on an old sturdy antique sewing table that I have been using for a 5 gallon. Is it alright to put something under the tank to protect the table? I was considering something like a thin rubber mat, foam, some kind of padding. Anything that will prevent the tank from marking up or digging into the table. I used a plastic table cloth with my 5 gallon, but of course it wasn't as heavy. Will this cause the tank to become unstable? Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks so much!!

Hello everyone!!
I am wanting to set up a 10 gallon glass tank for a betta. I would like to put it on an old sturdy antique sewing table that I have been using for a 5 gallon. Is it alright to put something under the tank to protect the table? I was considering something like a thin rubber mat, foam, some kind of padding. Anything that will prevent the tank from marking up or digging into the table. I used a plastic table cloth with my 5 gallon, but of course it wasn't as heavy. Will this cause the tank to become unstable? Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks so much!!

I kept my old 10 gallon tank on an old dining place mat for a time with no issues.

A plastic tablecloth should be just fine. The only thing you want to be cautious of is not evenly supporting the bottom frame of the tank -- as this will create stress points.

Again, though, a plastic tablecloth should be just fine in my opinion.

Best!

That should be fine. I know some people have use large pieces of slate as table tops to protect the wood beneath too. So long as it's not something that is going to bunch up or absorb water i think you are fine.

As stated above, make sure you have even support across the entire frame.
Don't use something so thick that it presses against the bottom glass when the tank is filled. This may cause a leak or crack.

I would go for the good old foam does the job on my tanks and their all sitting on wood table

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Lamby- How thick is the foam that you use under your tanks?

usualy around 30mm on my big tanks but 10-20mm will be just as good try shops they give it away for free

try places like tv stores or bed shops i know they have it in bulk that where i get mine from

Back
Top Bottom