Looking for some thing for the bottom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JimmyGabioud

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 35 gallon well planted aquarium with smooth substrate, i have a small clawed frog currently, but i wasn't sure if i should go with more frogs or some cories as i love both. I have 6 danios and a betta as well

I haven't had the tank super long yet so this will be more down the road.

+1 on the kuhlis!!! They're pretty easy to take care of and very hardy IME. They cab adapt to a wide variety of pH's, as long as your pH isn't like 5 or something. Id say anywhere from 6.2-7.8 or 8.0 they can adapt to.

JimmyGabioud said:
Do they have any benefits to the tank? other than diversity?

I'm pretty sure they're algae eaters.

So they'll clean your tank up. But they do hide a lot. once the light gies off, they come out to feed and will show the most personality.

Can I ask what type of frog you have? Is it an African Dwarf Frog (small with skinny legs, and eyes on the side of its head) or an African Clawed Frog (get up to 6 inches from head to butt, not including legs, and eyes on the top if its head)?

Kuhli loaches will not feed on algae sadly, but are very cool fish indeed!

they have low bioload and one of the smallest loaches and they're bottom feeders, eating leftover bits and pieces around and about. they aren't schooling fish but they enjoy the company of others of their own kind. you won't see them much but occasionally you can see them sunning themselves or playing tag with eachother :) its quite entertaining actually

JimmyGabioud said:
Do they have any benefits to the tank? other than diversity?

I have 6... Started with 7 but 6 got caught in the filter and one didn't make it.... I see them on a daily basis during feeding time.... I took off from work Friday and watched them very "sneakishly" I noticed they basically forage all day. They eat anything left on the floor of the tank.

As far as algae, I don't believe they eat it. But any left overs from feeding will be gone. They also get along well with semi aggressive fish.

Can I ask what type of frog you have? Is it an African Dwarf Frog (small with skinny legs, and eyes on the side of its head) or an African Clawed Frog (get up to 6 inches from head to butt, not including legs, and eyes on the top if its head)?

Kuhli loaches will not feed on algae sadly, but are very cool fish indeed!

Just confirmed it is a clawed frog, i had him mislabeled the whole time

Back
Top Bottom