Looking for tankmates for 6" needle nosr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Philly33

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 90gal lightly planted. Looking for mid- bottom dweller 6" max.

well,pike can get huge(ive seen pics of one that was 40 pounds)and are very territorial,and have nasty teeth(learned that the hard way)so they dont really belong in aquariums(imo)and any fish that dont get more than 6 inches should be eaten pretty quickly

A catfish or two that'll get around 1'
I'd go for a sun catfish, an irridescent shark (Pangassius catfish), or a shovelnose cat.
Just make sure they're the same size as the gar when you put whatever fish you decide on in there, or it'll eat 'em. I live in an area infested with gar and alligator gar and they are nasty fellows. :>

a blackfin shark or a bala, but you might have to buy them when theyre adults, cause they take a while to grow..

Tankmates for 5" needlenose gar in 90gal planted

Tankmates for 5" needlenose gar in 90gal planted?

Being ambush hunters in a planted tank would spell doom for anything that will fit in his mouth. Are they're any other tankmates at this time? I've seem them kept with larger SA like dempsey's, convict's, and such. But some of the big boys will push the limits of a 90g. The other consideration is some species of needle nose gar are brackish and will require increasing salinity as they mature.

Thanks. I bought 2 leaf fish and a featherfin catfish.

Back
Top Bottom