looking for the most fun aggressive fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevccoy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have an extra 75 gallon tank with 2 emperor filters, I am looking for a fun aggressive fish or 2, something that gets decent size but not outgrow a 75 gallon. was thinking red tail cat till i realized it would eventually outgrow my 75 gallon. anything in that type or close by that you can think of, want to do a lot of research on the fish before i get it, but not sure what i want

Are you looking for aggressive as in just eats other fish or that tear other fish apart?

either one, just looking for a fun fish for me and the boys(i have 4 sons)

snake head?
fishzilla-snakehead-fish.jpg

Snakeheads are awesome. They don't grow overly large and will tear anything up as soon as it hits the water. I think they're worse than keeping pirhanas. You can find videos on youtube of people feeding them

looking-for-the-most-fun-aggressive-fish

Jack Dempsey,Pike Chiclids,depending on the species Snakeheads will outgrow a 75 gallon(Plus I believe they're illegal to posess now).Meanest bugger I ever owned turned out to be a male auratus,not real big but knocked off every fish ever placed with him.Exotic and mean?African Lungfish they bite everything including their keepers and it hurts.Pihranas teeth are sharp and you probably won't know you're bit until you see the blood.Also there is the native Bowfin.

Jack Dempsey,Pike Chiclids,depending on the species Snakeheads will outgrow a 75 gallon(Plus I believe they're illegal to posess now).Meanest bugger I ever owned turned out to be a male auratus,not real big but knocked off every fish ever placed with him.Exotic and mean?African Lungfish they bite everything including their keepers and it hurts.Pihranas teeth are sharp and you probably won't know you're bit until you see the blood.Also there is the native Bowfin.

I looked into a Lungfish, but they grow to big for a 75 gallon. Right now am researching a red fin wolf fish, and Fahaka Puffer's.

Unfortunately, snakeheads are illegal to possess in the US. A bowfin could be cool. They look a bit like snakeheads and have jaws that can crush fishing lures.

IMO, the most fun fish you can have are mbuna. a 75g would make a great mbuna setup

I was gonna mention a mbuna tank. I used to own one and loved every minute of it. I wish I still had one and I'd like to start another, but I'm going to wait until I can get a 6ft tank and use that instead of my 55g

You could put a pleco in with the mbuna, but both can be very territorial and that may cause problems. Mbuna can be bright and flashy so the kids may like that. Plus there would be more to look at than one fish, but they wouldn't swallow minnows or look intimidating if that is what you are after.

I caught a 30" bowfin while fishing in Minnesota when I was a kid. I had no idea what it was until I saw a smaller one at an aquarium later that day. I still have the Rapala I used and it looks as though a tiny shark hit it.

Looking for the most fun aggressive fish

Sorry I left them out of my first post,but yes the Oscars are a good choice.Not what I would call the most aggressive but will eat anything that will fit in their mouth,and will develop a personality.Kind of like the Newfoundland or Labrador Retriever of the fish world.Big,fun,and will eat you out of house and home but can be kept with others once compatibility issues are sorted out.Also not the biggest or baddest but I found them interesting for their camaflouge and stalking techniques were Leaf fish.African Chichlids another good choice,lots of color and variety and the kids would probably enjoy the mouthbrooding thing.If going for the large and imposing thing there is always the Clown Knife or an Arowana.Or just succumb to MTS and try them all.
icon7.gif

It can be big and scary but remember that somebody has to stick their hand in there and clean it.

Back
Top Bottom