Looking into starting a 29gal Biocube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tuba227

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, i have had experience with freshwater, but not with saltwater, and i was looking into it but haven't found exactly what to do. I am looking into starting a 29gal biocube, and was wondering if it included everything i needed, or if i needed to purchase other things. I plan on having corals and some clowns and gobys. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Biocubes are great b/c they have almost everything you need to start. There are a lot of modifications you can do later on if you want. They sell a biocube protein skimmer, but I wouldn't recommend getting it. It's just too small and gets full easily and isn't good from what I've read.

All you'd need besides the tank is:
-hydrometer or refractometer which is more accurate
-Test kits (API works, but Red Sea and Salifert are more accurate)
-powerhead (optional, but might want more flow. Koralia nanos are great)
-Sand (or not if you want to go bare bottom)
-Rock (you can do mostly base rock and some live rock to seed it. I personally did 100% base rock for my 70 gallon b/c of cost, but different pros and cons)
-heater (if it's not included)
-Salt (Red Sea Coral Pro salt, Reef crystals instant ocean, Kent Marine are a few great salts for reef tanks)
-RO/DI System or some place you can buy RO or RO/DI water. Water source can cause problems or lead to your success. It's very important you start with great pure water. At last resort you can buy distilled water, but don't use tap water!

Hope I didn't forget something. Zoas and mushrooms are great beginner corals. Most LPS like duncans are easy too. Along with the clowns and gobies, a purple firefish or a small wrasse would be awesome. Reefing is super addicting, but rewarding and fun. Good luck :)

Hello, i have had experience with freshwater, but not with saltwater, and i was looking into it but haven't found exactly what to do. I am looking into starting a 29gal biocube, and was wondering if it included everything i needed, or if i needed to purchase other things. I plan on having corals and some clowns and gobys. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

just curious, are you planning the standard biocube 29 or the biocube 29 hqi?

nothing wrong with the standard. just won't be able to do sps, clams, or anemones without lighting upgrades. Obscure covered everything you need.

Thank you two for responding to my begginer questions. Looking into parts and supplies right now!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom