Looking to do a Nano Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all,

I'm looking into doing a nano-reef. I have successfully setup a 90 gal FOWLR, so I have a basis. I am also concerned with cost as I don't want to go crazy. But, I need some insight as to what is involved that's different form the FO tank on a nano-scale.

Thanks in advance!

There are some relatively inexpensive complete nano setups that companies like JBJ offer.

They come with everything built right into the back, but some people do their own mods and add another powerhead etc...

The JBJ 12G deluxe has upgraded lighting at about 4W per gallon so you can keep many different coral species.

They have filters built right in but you may want to run a small skimmer along with it.

The thing with nanos, is that because they are so small, the water needs to be monitored almost daily to prevent huge fluctuations and kill everything. 2 daily top-offs may be needed as well. But they sure look sweet!!

http://www.jbjlighting.com/sys_12gDX_nanocube.html

HTH!!!

Ryan

I don't really know what a FO tank is like, but I can tell you about my nano.

A year and some change ago I set up a 10 gallon nano. I have about 15-20 lbs LR and coral. I don't have fish right now, but I did. The cost isn't that bad...you can probably find the rock for under 100. I have a (too large) skimmer that I paid $100 for. I have 2 powerheads moving water. I had about 20lbs of sand (about a 3 inch bed). The lights I have are a 24 inch satellite PC (65W). I would definitely have gotten a different light system if I wasn't new into reefing. In all, I probably paid $350 for my setup (I already had the tank)

Now I don't have any sand except for a small layer just to cover glass. I'm about to add a 10 gallon fuge. I bought a used MH system, but all together I probably have spent less than $500 (not counting livestock).

If you have any questions, I can try to answer them. It's only been a year, but there are things I would have done differently knowing what I know now. :)

-j

Tanks for the replies - With those comments I can see that I will not be able to do a reef setup because the tank will be in my office and I can't monitor over the weekend. It's funny you mention the JBJ - that's exactly what I was thinking - it makes so much sense.

Let's say I just do another FOwLR setup - maybe 2 percs and an anemone, some shrimp, a goby and one more fish like a pygmy angel... Would that be too much for a 12 gal?

Let's say I just do another FOwLR setup - maybe 2 percs and an anemone, some shrimp, a goby and one more fish like a pygmy angel... Would that be too much for a 12 gal?

Yep...

you'd wanna go with something like 1 perc, a cleaner shrimp, a blood shrimp, and some soft corals and shrooms. That list is way too much for a 12G.

Ryan

Back
Top Bottom