Loosing angels!!! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john7110

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
WOW I had 3 Leopard veil angels. Doing great! water was fine. Came home today, two were dead. Big bummer. They are young. had them in this tank 2-3 weeks. I don't know what is going on. Lost a big pleco too. Same day.Other fish seem to be fine. This is a planted tank.What do I need to look for?? Two smaller snails stay out of the water at top of tank???? Any advise would be appriciated!

My water temp is 72-74.All water test are normal. I have a master test kit and check it weekly.The tank has been up and running for 2 months. No fish in it for the first 3 weeks till it stableized. PH is 7.0-7.2. all others, amonia, nitite, nitrate is real good.I don't get it! I use Nutrafin Cycle as needed.

john7110 said:
My water temp is 72-74.All water test are normal. I have a master test kit and check it weekly.The tank has been up and running for 2 months. No fish in it for the first 3 weeks till it stableized. PH is 7.0-7.2. all others, amonia, nitite, nitrate is real good.I don't get it! I use Nutrafin Cycle as needed.

Sounds like the water is to cold for angels.

john7110 said:

The temps a touch low IMO.
So ammonia and nitrIte are zero?
Letting a tank sit for 3 weeks with a bottled cycling product is not cycling. You need an ammonia source. When you added the first fish it started the cycle. What are the exact numbers? Baby angels are sensitive at the best of times.

The third angel is doing ok.They were in the tank for 2 weeks. Temp may be low. I will raise it a bit. This is a community tank. I have lost others. It has been going now for at least a month- 6 weeks with fish in it. They seem to be fine one day and dead the next.? last water test, PH 7.2, amonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate40ppm. tested yesterday.

john7110 said:
The third angel is doing ok.They were in the tank for 2 weeks. Temp may be low. I will raise it a bit. This is a community tank. I have lost others. It has been going now for at least a month- 6 weeks with fish in it. They seem to be fine one day and dead the next.? last water test, PH 7.2, amonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate40ppm. tested yesterday.

Ok params look good. Nitrate is a bit high. Smaller angels are quite sensitive so try and keep nitrate lower than 40ppm.

My angels live with discus so the temp is 84. Also my trates are >40ppm with no problems but that isn't necessarily good that they're that high. Try to keep angels in even numbers too btw.

Back
Top Bottom