Losing my apple snails PLEASE HELP!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brian913

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a aquaclear 50 on my 30 gallon tank. Earlier today for the second time in a few weeks on of my smaller apple snails climbed onto the inlet tube of the filter. The get stuck there because of the suction im guessing and die. My question is can i modify or is their something I can buy to put over the inlet tube of the filter. I have three more snails and don't want this to happen again if I can avoid it. Thanks

I caught my apple snail doing this on my penguin, climbing on the intake and couldn't get off because of the suction, he was just trying to explore, it didn't suck him up. I luckily caught him and gently tapped on his shell and he retreated into his shell and fell off in the gravel. Whenever o catch them on it I scare them off. I've been wondering the same thing, I don't think a sponge or pantyhose would help, the suction would still be there.

you can put a sponge over the intake. i use the aquaclear sponges from the filters but thats just me.

Thanks but wouuldnt the suction still be there?Wouldn't they still get stuck to it just not to the intake then they'd get stuck to the sponge. That'd be great I'm just worried it would only cover the intake. I'm not sure what there really is to do stopping the suction would reduce filter performance and not reducing suction they'll get stuck, maybe they'll just have to learn to stay the heck away from the intake!
you can put a sponge over the intake. i use the aquaclear sponges from the filters but thats just me.

nope the sponges increase the surface area so there's less suction at any given spot. i have the hagen pre-filter sponge for the edge on my 10 gallon aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom