Loss of albino tiger oscar :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You will need a 500 gallon tank at least for all those fish. They are dying because of water conditions which are harder on fish with added stress of overcrowding and territoriality. You'd need to change 75% of the water daily at least to keep the water healthy. Even at their small size. Something wrong with your nitrate test. How do you think adding too many fish to a tiny aquarium is going to grow anything out?

500 gallon for my stock. Yea no. You would never see my fish in a 500g. I have tested my nitrates with API master test kit and test strips. Let me guess you probably keep 5 guppies in a 125 and think it's fully stocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No I keep an Oscar, pleco and small 4 inch HRP in a 125 gallon and need close to 150% water changes weekly to keep nitrates where they should be. Test strips are notoriously inaccurate and are worthless. Bottle #2 of the API nitrate kit requires a good shaking for 2 minutes and beating it on the table as well because the zinc particles stick to the bottom and give false low readings. Anyone with any aquarium experience will tell you the same about your stocking. That is ridiculous for a tank so small.

If you say so. You have no clue about my maintenance practices filtration feeding habits or anything to do with my tank. 500g tank for my stock would be way over kill. Yes I admit soon I will have to upgrade but I maintain my water quality nicely.

You really have know idea what your doing or talking about. Your first post made that VERY clear. So I tried to help you with some correct info. Have fun with your diseased feeder fish from Walmart and your small inadequate water changes on that sewer you've created for a tank. I feel sorry for your fish. In fact I have my doubts you have a tank and I'm 99% sure your just a troll. Nobody is that stupid without it being on purpose.

I tried to refrain from getting involved in this post...because I diddnt want to keep repeating the obvious....but seriously I couldn't agree more with Jmunroe... Zcar you are being so ignorant about a situation you asked for help with!....if you truly think you can keep all of those catfish/plecos and a Tire Track eel which gets a good size itself in a tiny 45g tank ....then maybe you should take some advice from some of these posts on here and rehome everything.....learn how to take care of one guppy or one beta in your 45g and then go from there....sorry but there are a ton of other species of fish I wish I could have in my tanks but dont because they won't fit!...or won't get along... either way I dont just stuff a ton of walmart special babies in my tanks just because I can physically purchase them!...it makes no sense try and control yourself and do some research. .. the fish dont deserve it!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
You sir truly are a moron. You told me I need a 500g tank for my stock and your giving me correct information. Others have posted on here with much information. I am sure my father with over 30 years in the hobby knows more than you do. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419727278.019027.jpg omg that tank is so over stocked omg it's a sewer and disgusting. Omg omg omg flame troll larlarlarlalalala

You sir truly are a moron. You told me I need a 500g tank for my stock and your giving me correct information. Others have posted on here with much information. I am sure my father with over 30 years in the hobby knows more than you do. View attachment 259386 omg that tank is so over stocked omg it's a sewer and disgusting. Omg omg omg flame troll larlarlarlalalala

The amount of fish you have in there is terrible based on their potential size. you might and WILL have problems in oh, I don't know 6 months based on how fast they grow? Looks like you are doing an ok job right now as they are juveniles but Im sure the water chemistry in that tank is pretty bad. Your bad must not have much knowledge as to be in the hobby for 30 years and think that the stocking of that tank is anywhere near acceptable. Can a mod please close this thread?

I don't expect to be able to keep these fish in the tank for very long. My water chemistry is fine. As stated before. I am very diligent in keeping my tank clean. 6 months is almost accurate as I am waiting to move out of my apartment so I can upgrade the tank size.

Ok.................most people move... upgrade...then add fish...just saying...little backwards no?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I bought the tank awhile ago before I changed jobs. I admit was my second tank and I got a little crazy with stocking. Knowing that I would need a larger tank. Buying the larger tank is not an issue at all. My problem is space at this point in time. My fish will be in a larger tank in a few months way before they outgrow what they are in. My chemistry is fine. I feed once a day and use a sludge extractor to keep excess food and waste out of my tank. This helps keep my bio load down. Where I messed up was buying feeders from wal mart like a idiot. This was more of a hard lessons learned post that quickly went to bashing me because I don't do things the same way as others. Like the old saying goes there's more than one way to skin a cat. If something happens and one of my fish outgrows the tank before I can get the new one set up then I already have a very reputable place that will take the fish.

I too have almost 30 years in the hobby. Some of us do things properly and others don't have a clue. I too suggest a mod close this child's trolling, animal abusing thread.

Close if you like. I'm a grown man not a kid and keeping fish in clean water and feeding then and providing larger housing as required is not animal abuse. You sit are very immature.

Close if you like. I'm a grown man not a kid and keeping fish in clean water and feeding then and providing larger housing as required is not animal abuse. You sit are very immature.

You certainly don't act like a grown man with your rant below \/
You sir truly are a moron. You told me I need a 500g tank for my stock and your giving me correct information. Others have posted on here with much information. I am sure my father with over 30 years in the hobby knows more than you do. View attachment 259386 omg that tank is so over stocked omg it's a sewer and disgusting. Omg omg omg flame troll larlarlarlalalala

That being said, a grow out tank is a perfectly acceptable practice. Its commonly used and if done properly, is a great thing.

HOWEVER

Unless you have an established tank to put the fish in, a grow out tank stops being a grow out tank and just becomes an aquarium. Thats what people are getting at. You aren't prepared to care for these fish at all and while they may be okay for the moment, that is going to change quickly at a detriment to the fish.

True dat! Mebbid.. if you havnt noticed? People take great pride in fish and overall aquatic health and well being.. when someone sails in like the queen Mary boasting ill practice it tends to strike a nerve.. just shut us all up with a nice big tank in a month or two:) I'm in a similar situation, I want lots of fish big and small, lots of tanks.. no space though.. i just set up a few smaller tanks and left the 75 in storage, when the time is right I'll have my oscar! For now.. dwarf cichlids and nano fish will have to do.. no shame in a small tank, it can be done nicely..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

True dat! Mebbid.. if you havnt noticed? People take great pride in fish and overall aquatic health and well being.. when someone sails in like the queen Mary boasting ill practice it tends to strike a nerve.. just shut us all up with a nice big tank in a month or two:) I'm in a similar situation, I want lots of fish big and small, lots of tanks.. no space though.. i just set up a few smaller tanks and left the 75 in storage, when the time is right I'll have my oscar! For now.. dwarf cichlids and nano fish will have to do.. no shame in a small tank, it can be done nicely..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the non flaming words. And mebbid I see your point. I move out of my apartment march 1st and will immediately be setting up the larger tank. Keeping my current bio media to help the cycle. By April the tank will be cycled. If any of my fish outgrow this tank I will rehome them. I never intended to have poor practice but like a lot of noobs I got excited when I set up my 45g. Then started to really learn about fish keeping. I never intended to boast ill practice at all. Every one just started flaming me like I intend to keep my fish in this tank for their entire life which is not at all true. My water parameters do stay good. Due to the Plecos yes I do have to do more water changes and use a sludge extractor. I guess for now on will stop posting about mistakes made for other noobs to hopefully not make the same mistake and just keep my mouth shut.

No I keep an Oscar, pleco and small 4 inch HRP in a 125 gallon and need close to 150% water changes weekly to keep nitrates where they should be. Test strips are notoriously inaccurate and are worthless. Bottle #2 of the API nitrate kit requires a good shaking for 2 minutes and beating it on the table as well because the zinc particles stick to the bottom and give false low readings. Anyone with any aquarium experience will tell you the same about your stocking. That is ridiculous for a tank so small.

Regardless of the OP's blatent disregard for fishkeeping, if after 30 years of fishkeeping you can't keep more than that in a 125G you are hardly an expert yourself.

We seem to get the extremes of ridiculous on this site.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Regardless of the OP's blatent disregard for fishkeeping, if after 30 years of fishkeeping you can't keep more than that in a 125G you are hardly an expert yourself.

We seem to get the extremes of ridiculous on this site.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

But why would you want to if this stock keeps you happy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was commenting more at the suggested 150% water change BS for a tank of that size, suggesting its maxed out, rather than anything to do with choice.

I was commenting more at the suggested 150% water change BS for a tank of that size, suggesting its maxed out, rather than anything to do with choice.

You have no idea what your talking about. Have you ever had a 13 inch sail fin pleco and a 13 inch Oscar together in a tank? 125 gallons is not really that big of volume for 2 fish that produce huge amounts of waste. My water change is carried out through a water exchange process that I do every 4 days replacing around 75% each time. They produce close to 5 ppm of nitrates a day. After 4 days the nitrates are at around 25 or so. I carry out a water change to bring it to around 5ppm. You can never change too much water on large cichlids and plecos. It takes 30 mins for me to carry my water change each time.
Edit: after the time I have spent in the hobby I have learned tank stocking inside and out. I choose to do it properly. I could certainly have more in there but that would be overstocked, and my wild caught Oscar is pretty aggressive and doesn't appreciate company. I prefer to keep my water params good.

Back
Top Bottom