Lost 2/3 of guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UniqueShark

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My tank has been running for 2 years without adding any fish. The guppies would breed and they'd grow up. I decided to add new blood to the tank. Bad idea. Added 3 guppies. Have lost 12 as of yesterday and 4 today.

The symptoms are clamped fins and a shaking and rolling of their body. I've done several water changes to fix the issue. I've treated for protozoan parasites thinking that was the issue. Nothing fixed. This has been going on for 2 weeks. I'd lose 1 a day, and up until 3 days ago, 3 sometimes 4 a day. I'd have some days where none died but looked horrible.

Yesterday removed any that showed any ill symptoms. The ones that looked fine are staying but still being treated. The ill ones went to a 7.5 and were predicted to die today or last night, based on the pattern. 3 out of the 7 did.

I've tried aquarium salt and protozoan medication.

Water parameters
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:2ppm
Ph:8.2
F°:77
Hardness: 8

Haven't changed my water source or anything. Nitrates are low from the constant water changes.
https://youtu.be/PZt-fOss6wU

The video not alot of help for me. But..there is a plethora of causes for what you state. May never have a concrete answer.

First thing id consider is your acclimating method.

Acclimating wasn't the issue. I always drip acclimate my fish. The fish in my tank were in there for 2 years. I added 3 and they've carried something in that has killed the majority of my tank.

Obviously, I should've had them be in quarantine but I trusted the store and the fish looked fine.

The fish in the video are in a different tank. I took the ill looking ones and put them in the tank in the video.

Gotcha...guppies arent as durable as they once were. I know to most it wont make sense but I usually get the feeders. I look for the colorful ones if I buy them from a store.

Do they have fin rot and body fungus or skin lesions?
Looks like a bacterial infection known as columnaris.
Very easy to cure with the use of proper antibiotics
The ones you can find easily and put in the water that will work are Kanamycin and Maracyn-2
OFC badly affected fish wont survive.

Do they have fin rot and body fungus or skin lesions?
Looks like a bacterial infection known as columnaris.
Very easy to cure with the use of proper antibiotics
The ones you can find easily and put in the water that will work are Kanamycin and Maracyn-2
OFC badly affected fish wont survive.
Nope, nothing external except for clamping

So sorry for your loss. It's so frustrating when something like this happens. I had an incident last November.

So sorry for your loss. It's so frustrating when something like this happens. I had an incident last November.
Yeah, I had so many unique guppies from crossbreeding halfblacks with orange and yellow patterned guppies. All gone. Funny thing, i still have a bunch of fry, so this disease only affects juvenile and adult guppies

Symptoms of the most recent deaths have changed a little from the start. They start with a white patch on top of their head. Then their pectoral fins narrow. Their mouths are stuck open and "wiggle" in place.

When i find them dead, the white patch turns into a little fluffy patch of fuzz, happened on 6, and their mouths are wide open.

Back
Top Bottom