Lost half of my fish in my tank ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cinciboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was treating my tank for ich by raising the temp to 86F.. last two days I lost half of my tank fishes... I am not sure what is going on... I checked the parameters and all seems ok except some ammonia which may have spiked because of dead fish.. Mine is a heavily planted tank and I have having hard time looking for dead fish...

Here is what I did for removing ich from my take two weeks ago..

1. removed carbon and zeolite from my fluval.
2. raised the temp above 86F

Lost the following fishes
1 - rainbow
2 - clown plecos
1 - german ram - female
2 - neon tetras
1- emperor tetra
1 - cory - may be dead - I am yet to locate it
1- oto
still counting...

what is going on.... :roll:

In two days. from 80 to 86 F in three steps.

Also I saw some red patches on some of the dead fish... today on Pleco I saw the same..

I wonder if it's not ich that needs to be treated. Bacterial and fungal outbreaks sometimes look ich-like and when the temp is raised, they take off. Do you see any signs of ich? Has the ammonia levels gone back to undectable?

Menagerie said:
I wonder if it's not ich that needs to be treated. Bacterial and fungal outbreaks sometimes look ich-like and when the temp is raised, they take off. Do you see any signs of ich? Has the ammonia levels gone back to undectable?

I saw some white spots on my tetras and rainbows.. Loach got sometime ago and now gone... I am worried about the red patches.. what are they.. they started to appear on all the dead fish and atleast one of my tetra got it. I am closely watching this tank..

If it is a virus or bacteria outbreak what is the solution... I have melafix a and mardel fungal medication... I am little worried about medication use because of the Ram...

Thank god... today no dead fish.. I found the another cory which is alive.. Looks like tank has stabilized. But one of the cory has some problems with tail fin.. looks like tail rot.. I am not sure.. I took it out and put it in a QT along with melafix..

Zagz said:
Well thank goodness things are leveling out. Good luck and hopefully it will continue improving!

Do you know what medication for fin rot. The fin rot cory which I put in QT has died.. I wanted to buy some medication before it is out of control. looks like melafix is not working...

Back
Top Bottom