Lost one of the cory.........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motherspice

Aquarium Advice Activist
that we took from the 10 gal to the 55 gal.......then thought his buddy was a gonner to but my daughter who is 9 saved him, so far hes still alive;) when I left for work this morn I told all he was gonna die, he was upside down for like 10 minutes, well after I left, my daughter added some gravel from the 10 gal to the container and a cave and a few shrimp pellets, put the container in the laundry room where its warm and put a lamp over it then they left my hubby came home for lunch and he was alive still!!!!! So I told him to put him in the 10 gal tank so he can have air and food and warmth, I really thought when I got home he would be gone but hes alive!.I told my daughter dont get her hopes up, ...now question I am thinking maybe the new tank is not established?? so there was nothing on the bottom for them to eat? could that be it?? hes fine now...water I tested a. 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 10 temp 79 ph 6.4 what do you make of it?

What kind of cory? how long have you had it? was it under alot of stress? Does he look sick in anyway? cories are better in groups of five or more. was the temp in the 2 tanks different if they were you could have shocked the fish when you put it in a water with a different temp. it is always best to put the fish in a bag set the bag in the other tank and let it sit floating on the top of the water. just so the fish can have a little time to ajust to the new temp. Answer these questions and i will give you my thoughts. well sorry about the dead cory. hope the other one lives give your daughter a pat on the back for me just for having hopes. good luck. and sorry again.

What kind of cory?
peppered cory

how long have you had it?

3 months in the 10 gal and 3 days in the 55 gal

was it under alot of stress?

I dont think so:confused:

Does he look sick in anyway?

no he looked fine, except befor he died he stayed to the top then could not stay down then turned updide down

cories are better in groups of five or more.
I know I had planed on getting 2 at a time QT them in my 10 gal QT/fry tank for 3 weeks then add them to the 55... 2 at a time this was the 1st 2 I added

was the temp in the 2 tanks different

well the 10 gal is 76 and the 55 is 79.....but they were in there 3 day would the shock not have happened right away?:confused:

if they were you could have shocked the fish when you put it in a water with a different temp. it is always best to put the fish in a bag set the bag in the other tank and let it sit floating on the top of the water. just so the fish can have a little time to ajust to the new temp.

What I did do was add some water from the 10 gal in a container then add some from the 55 gal a little at a time then I just took them out and put them in the 55 gal:confused:

Answer these questions and i will give you my thoughts. well sorry about the dead cory. hope the other one lives give your daughter a pat on the back for me just for having hopes. good luck. and sorry again.

Thank you my daughter really love our fishies, so does her mama, she would not give up.... the cory I thought was gonna die this morn is in the 10 gal with the 2 new cory I got a few days ago.....hes not upside down any more but he still not right, he goes up for a quick air gulp and hes not digging looking for food like the other 2

Your pH seems really low. Is it always like that? Did you happen to test for pH in the tank you moved your fish to today? Or perhaps you could even check the pH in the smaller 10g tank.

Your pH seems really low. Is it always like that? Did you happen to test for pH in the tank you moved your fish to today? Or perhaps you could even check the pH in the smaller 10g tank.

yes ph is for some reason that low.....I was told not to mess with it my big 55 ph is 6.6 and the 10 gal is 6.0........so far all fish and all the fry are all doing good

here are a few pics of the cort=y in the 10 gal

here he is the 1st one is of just him the others are all 3
img_915283_0_9729f51c7a3a48448af86971ca285246.jpg

img_915283_1_5489d077a986d5130f1af9fb6f6f3ad0.jpg

img_915283_2_be089d6ae4368bb0e7ef55ddd8525cc1.jpg

img_915283_3_dff09ad184528702b69647709ad543aa.jpg

img_915283_4_99f198ac6d452980e877d3a9d2864533.jpg

well it sounds like a lot of little things added up killed your cory. the ph was differnt in the tank switch the temp was different, and the only 2 cory problem. if this is what happened and the temp was different it sounds like the temp was the problem because you said that right before the cory went belly up and died he was always at the top of the tank and he was popping his head out of the water to get air. you see in thhe lakes that cories usually live in nature the water can get pretty hot well you live in thhe sun shine state go step in a puddle on a hot day and you will see that it is pretty warm. corys have the same organ as bettas that allow them to get air from the surface of the water because the water is hot and doesnt have much air circulation.

well it sounds like a lot of little things added up killed your cory. the ph was differnt in the tank switch the temp was different, and the only 2 cory problem. if this is what happened and the temp was different it sounds like the temp was the problem because you said that right before the cory went belly up and died he was always at the top of the tank and he was popping his head out of the water to get air. you see in thhe lakes that cories usually live in nature the water can get pretty hot well you live in thhe sun shine state go step in a puddle on a hot day and you will see that it is pretty warm. corys have the same organ as bettas that allow them to get air from the surface of the water because the water is hot and doesnt have much air circulation.

so what is a good temp for the corys? my 55 is 79 set with a heater in the water.......the 10 gal tank has a old fashoned heater have to play and guess, so its been at 76 so left it like that insteed of playing with it..so maybe the 55 was to warm for them??

well i have had 1 of my cories alone for about a month in a half and he has been fine in my ten gallon which has a temp of 78F. about a 2 days ago i got 2 more corys thhey have all been fine. but since you have had your corys in a tank with a temp of 76F i would take the temp up real slow like maybe a degree a day till you get the temp of 78F, and if your fish ever get ick then take the temp up to about 86F but take it up real slow, but thats another thread. 78F is a great temp for the most part of all tropical fish. you say your heater is old, does it keep your temp steady or does the temp change alot? if your temp changes alot its not good it makes the fishes emmune system worse because it uses so much to keep them alive while the temp is changing. oh and rember never to add alot of new fish in a tank at once this is not good for the fish either.

I have two cories in roughly 80/82 degree water and they do fine. Just the temp won't make that much of a difference. Unsteady temp is problematic though.

Oh and you have mollie fry i am trying to breed some mollies my self can you send me a PM on how you did it and all. oh and my mollies are 2 black mollies. thanks

Back
Top Bottom