Lost one today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kribbz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone, i'm just totally buming. i just lost one of my oscars. I have been battling HTH for about 5 weeks now and my tiger finally gave in last night. i woke up and he was laying at the bottom. i'm so upset right now because i don't know what to do. my other oscar is still infected and i just feel like there is nothing i can do but slowly watch her die. If i lose another one i am going to be so upset because i have had her since i was a sophomore in college. if anyone has any type of suggestion i am open right now. i really do not want to lose another fish. i almost forgot how big these fish were. i pulled him out and weighed him. he was 14.5 inches and just over 5 pounds when he died. man i'm just at a loss. is there anything else i can do? i've tried copper based medicines, salt, changing the food ect. please give me a few suggestions. thanks in advance to everyone.

kribbz said:
hole in the head

Ah, thanks. This forum was giving me the "hope this helps" popup. :?

Hole-in-the-head is caused by a protozoan. Copper-based medications are not what you need.

Metronidazole (aka Flagyl) is absolutely what you need to treat this disease. I am not sure what the base of the previously suggested medication is, but I did find these:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/search/...tion=sitebuilder/catalog3-1&keywords1=hex-out

http://www.rockymountaindiscus.com/Food_and_medications.htm

It is best if the fish ingests metronidazole-laced food, but if your oscar has stopped eating then adding it to the water is the only way to go. I would suggest raising the temperature of the water to 90F degrees during treatment to maximize effectiveness as well, though this is optional and possibly very stressful to an already lethargic fish -- if you choose to do so keep a close eye.

Back
Top Bottom