Lost power Nitrite Emergency!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jobin13

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all.
I travel for work and the lady friend was watching my tank.
A transformer blew up on our street and we lost power for a day... She did her best to keep water flow through the filter and ran a battery air stone to keep the tank aerated. However the 40 g isn't going so well. It's about 50% stocked and I seem to have lost my nitrite to nitrate bacteria but my ammonia to nitrite bacteria is doing somewhat okay.

I came home last night and did an immediate 50% water change (as much as I could do at the time). I did one again this morning however I lost 1 rummy nose tetra since then and fear I might lose more fish since that water change.

my water parameters are as follows:
ph 7
ammonia: .25
nitrite: off the chart probably about 8
nitrate:10

It is a newly planted tank so I'm getting a bunch of excess nutrients from that.

I've dosed with Prime to reduce Nitrite toxicity

What else should I be doing?

I know we're in recycling stages but Nitrites have never been this high for me, so I'm concerned. Should I just leave nitrites (treated with prime) this high to let the bacteria go or is this too high for them to establish?

I'm going to try a 90% water change as well

Don't just leave it.

One way to measure when any parts per million test is off the charts is to either double your water sample or cut the reagent in half.

I had huge nitrite issues for so long in my tanks. It's really awful. Keep up with the water changes and keep up with the Prime.

Dr Tims is great to help get a tank in balance

Don't bother doubling testing solution if it's off the charts whether it's 80 or 140ppm it's deadly. Don't even waste the testing regent.

I did a 90% change and the parameters were great following this.
ph:7.4
ammonia:maybe the slightest tinge darker but not.25
nitrite: .25
nitrate: 5

I added some baking soda to ensure the tank had some buffer as well. about to do the 12 hour test

ph:7
Ammonia:0
Nitrite: .25
nitrate: in between 0-5

Back
Top Bottom