Lots a debris!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fastfly48

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 20g planted community tank is always full of debris... :(
My cory stirs things up and soooooo much junk comes up from the gravel!
...and theres always junk flaoting about too.
I gravel vac the big open area in my tank every week with a 10% water change but it never seems to get rid of enough...as soon as I pour the fresh water in the water looks as bad as when i started cleaning it!
Any ideas? I used activated acarbon once and that helped a little but I hear that activated acarbon can strip the water of some important minerals.
Thanks in advance.
Ry.

Do you use gravel, or just substrate? I found that mixing my substrate with gravel really helps when it comes to debris

Get some fibre paddings (used in filling comforters and available in the fabrics section) from walmart and put it in ur filter.. will solve the problem. Make sure it is not chemically treated.. I used them a lot on my Fluval and Aquaclear to catch lot of debries.

If your doing gravel vacs once a week and still have that much debris being kicked around I'd say you should probably cut down on your feeding. Also don't be afraid to change more then 10% of water with every water change. I do anywhere between 35-50% on my tanks each week.

Yes, definitely cut back on feeding a bit, and you can also do more frequent water changes, say 2 or 3 time a week until you get the mess under control.

Back
Top Bottom