Lots of questions, please take a look.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GHO5T

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone!
I've been browsing(stalking) these forums for a looooooooong time and finally get to put my new planted tank together 3 weeks ago. So far everything is looking good but, I do have a few questions and suspicions here and there.

First, the tank is a 2.8 gallon Fluval Spec 3. It is fully cycled as of today and the parameters are looking good. However, I can't seems to get HC to carpet properly. There are a lot of growth from the first date but, it seems to stop all of a sudden, weird...
Dosing Flurish twice a week, Excel once a day. Injecting CO2 with Fluval ceramic diffuser.
Light is this ZETLIGHT and 2 strip of 12K white this.

Next question is, what fish be good for this. I'm going for a natural look. So a schooling fish would work best. Currently have 2 Amano shrimps and some ramshorn snails in here since the start.

More question, is my current method of diffusing CO2 suffice or should I tweak it a bit? I see a lot of bubbles and it kinda ruin the nice and clean look, sadly.

Even more question, How do I insert image into the thread without leaving them in the bottom attachment section? I try to use the image code but, it keep giving me the "Please do not use remote images, upload them instead." error thingy

Attachments

• DSCN1961.jpg
    DSCN1961.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 140
  • DSCN1970.jpg
    DSCN1970.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 137
  • DSCN1966.jpg
    DSCN1966.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 145
Ok, bit by bit.

However, I can't seems to get HC to carpet properly. There are a lot of growth from the first date but, it seems to stop all of a sudden, weird...

Do you have any close ups? It looks like it's growing up from here, but I can't tell for sure. It's also only been a few weeks, so it might need some obedience training at scissor point.

Next question is, what fish be good for this. I'm going for a natural look. So a schooling fish would work best. Currently have 2 Amano shrimps and some ramshorn snails in here since the start.

2.8g just isn't big enough to put much of anything in, much less a schooling species. This is made worse by the vertical profile.

More question, is my current method of diffusing CO2 suffice or should I tweak it a bit? I see a lot of bubbles and it kinda ruin the nice and clean look, sadly.

If it aint broke..... but for the record, is your system pressurized or DIY (and if the former, what setup)?

Even more question, How do I insert image into the thread without leaving them in the bottom attachment section? I try to use the image code but, it keep giving me the "Please do not use remote images, upload them instead." error thingy

I usually upload to imgur. Some people use different service to accomplish the same thing.

Nice looking pico tank! Wow and that's an interesting LED light. I tried to look it up but there's no pricing. How much did you get it for?

Anyway, I'm not sure how to convert Lumens to PAR, but the specs on that light don't list PAR. I think that would be good to know whether the light has enough intensity to carpet HC. To my understanding, HC really needs high light and co2 (or liquid carbon) to thrive.

To help with the co2 bubbles, perhaps you can place the diffuser in the back filter compartment of the spec? I don't have a spec so I'm not sure if it would fit back there somehow. But if you can place it deep in there, the bubbles should have more vertical resistance from your media to get sufficient co2 dissolution in the water. Also, add a co2 indicator (aka: drop checker) to know if enough co2 is getting in the water. I'm just guessing though :)

I think your tank would be too small for 99% of fish. However, if you have a heater, you might be able to keep some Boraras brigittae (chili rasbora)? Or even a single scarlet badis?

Ok, bit by bit.

Do you have any close ups? It looks like it's growing up from here, but I can't tell for sure. It's also only been a few weeks, so it might need some obedience training at scissor point.

Lights are off now and I don't have any close up taken before. I'll take some when the lights are back on tomorrow. Also, I only my phone as a camera. Not sure how nice it would look:lol:

Cutting them up would help with the growth? Oh and some of the bigger plants leaves(not hc) starting to turn a bit white. What would be the cause of that?

2.8g just isn't big enough to put much of anything in, much less a schooling species. This is made worse by the vertical profile.

I was thinking of 3 neon tetras or something of equal size. Should be fine. I think....

If it aint broke..... but for the record, is your system pressurized or DIY (and if the former, what setup)?

It is pressurized Fluval mini CO2 kit for now. I have a 5lb tank and a regulator+solanoid from AquaTek CA incoming in the mail. It is such a small tank and that diffuser is distracting! :ermm:

I usually upload to imgur. Some people use different service to accomplish the same thing.

I'll try that next time

Thank you!

Nice looking pico tank! Wow and that's an interesting LED light. I tried to look it up but there's no pricing. How much did you get it for?

Anyway, I'm not sure how to convert Lumens to PAR, but the specs on that light don't list PAR. I think that would be good to know whether the light has enough intensity to carpet HC. To my understanding, HC really needs high light and co2 (or liquid carbon) to thrive.

To help with the co2 bubbles, perhaps you can place the diffuser in the back filter compartment of the spec? I don't have a spec so I'm not sure if it would fit back there somehow. But if you can place it deep in there, the bubbles should have more vertical resistance from your media to get sufficient co2 dissolution in the water. Also, add a co2 indicator (aka: drop checker) to know if enough co2 is getting in the water. I'm just guessing though :)

I think your tank would be too small for 99% of fish. However, if you have a heater, you might be able to keep some Boraras brigittae (chili rasbora)? Or even a single scarlet badis?

That brings me to another question, where can I get a good/beautiful/not overprice drop checker without having to mix the solution with some other things.

That back compartment suggestion is a nice idea. I will look into it this weekend during the water change.

Also, there is a heater in there and the temp is a constant 73-76F.

The LED is $80 shipped, but you have to do a wired transfer to their company in Asia. That usually is a $30-40 fee from most our bank here in the US.:fish2:

The cheapest drop checker on ebay will get the job done as well as the most expensive one on GLA, but might not look as pretty in the process. The 4dKH solution can be made at home easily enough or purchased for a few bucks more. The stuff you add is just low range pH solution that most people already have.

I bought two different drop checkers (I have 3 total in different tanks). The UP Aqua DC (here) that I got on Amazon was really good a first, especially for the price - but I wouldn't recommend it because on the both I have, I'm constantly having to re-stick in on the glass because the suctions are terrible.

The other DC I bought was a glass one on Ebay. This has proven to be a solid performer and always sticks. I believe this is the seller I bought it from (he also sells it bundled with 4 dKH reference solution).
Glass Aquarium CO2 Drop Checker Test Optional 4oz 4DKH Liquid US Seller | eBay

The UP Aqua DC comes with the indicator solution (ph solution / bromothymol blue), while the eBay one doesn't. So if you don't have bromothymol blue, you can buy the Fluval indicator solution.
Amazon.com: Fluval CO2 Indicator Solution: Pet Supplies

And wow! That light is pricey for a pico/nano aquarium! Hope you get your money's worth!

Just ordered the glass one from eBay, thanks for the suggestion.

I have a cousin in Thiland. I have him wire the money there using his bank, so I don't have to pay the expensive wired transfer fee here. $80 for a high-tech LED is quite reasonable. It also have remote controls!

This is the video that got me into wanting that light. Clicky

I was thinking of 3 neon tetras or something of equal size. Should be fine. I think....

I have to politely disagree. Neons are active fish and need room to swim. In groups smaller than 5-6 I have even had them get very nippy with each other.

I had 3 Neons in a 5.5g and felt sorry for them. I moved them and 3 more into a 10g and now I will be rehoming to someone with a 30+g tank so they can be in a much larger group.

The Micro Rasbora species is a possibility. A Scarlet Badis is lovely, but unless there are lots of plants it may hide a lot. They also may only eat live food. Ask the seller to feed it before you buy.

Just ordered the glass one from eBay, thanks for the suggestion.

I have a cousin in Thiland. I have him wire the money there using his bank, so I don't have to pay the expensive wired transfer fee here. $80 for a high-tech LED is quite reasonable. It also have remote controls!

This is the video that got me into wanting that light. Clicky

The only problem is that if it is geared towards a Reef Light it may put out the wrong "color" and make your plants look weird. I use around 6,500K
10,000K is normal for Reefs. It is a "cold" looking light meant to intensify Coral colors.

I do use an Archaea clamp on LED for my rimless 10g. It does grow plants. It is a less inviting color, but it is geared towards plants.

See if the manufacturer can supply PAR and Kelvin specs.

GL :)

woohoo sf bay area!! From the city as a baby, then Berkeley, now SC over the hill.

Beautiful nano!! maybe.... a pea puffer?

I also have RCS and they are very cute and fun to watch. NOT SO with the ghost shrimp in my hubby's pea puffer nano tank, they creep me out although they are playful. My rcs are a breeding pair and the babies are cute too!

coursair hehehe GO A's

Hey GHO5T I have a lfs with healthy pea puffers and my own (free) offspring red cherries... I will be in the milpitas area later today if you need? Or whenever. Ever been to lfs named Neptunes? Also in milpitas look on yelp :)

I have a dwarf puffer tank as well. But it would kill your shrimp and snail. The pea puffer is better off in a species only tank. I've only seen mine get along with otos and bumblebee gobies.

Plus, due to their carnivorous insatiable appetites, they need larger filtration and a lot of PWC's to keep their tank clean, like 50% weekly. Moreover, these guys are some of the most intelligent and inquisitive fish I've seen. A little 3 gallon tank would make this pea puffer die of boredom if not water quality.

Marsh had a good idea, if you are near Milpitas, Neptunes runs some Nano tanks and has Nano fish. Same for AquaForest in SF.

My club is local as well if you want to meet some great people with cool tanks, plants and fish.

SFBAAPS is a great resource, you may already know this :)

I get all my plants free from meetings.

All true, 5.5 minimum is recommended. However ours has not *yet* eaten any ghost shrimp, some twice his size. He is welcome to the buffet as we see it. Eatin bloodworms. 75% WC every 2 days in a (miraculously?) cycled 1-G tank (don't yell it's not even mine! Just live in the same house)

woohoo sf bay area!! From the city as a baby, then Berkeley, now SC over the hill.

Beautiful nano!! maybe.... a pea puffer?

I also have RCS and they are very cute and fun to watch. NOT SO with the ghost shrimp in my hubby's pea puffer nano tank, they creep me out although they are playful. My rcs are a breeding pair and the babies are cute too!

coursair hehehe GO A's

Hey GHO5T I have a lfs with healthy pea puffers and my own (free) offspring red cherries... I will be in the milpitas area later today if you need? Or whenever. Ever been to lfs named Neptunes? Also in milpitas look on yelp :)

I always wanted to go to Neptune! But it's out of my reach, I live in Berkeley, see? So I'm stuck with Albany Aquarium. I'll keep your offer in mind, thanks man!(y)

The only problem is that if it is geared towards a Reef Light it may put out the wrong "color" and make your plants look weird. I use around 6,500K
10,000K is normal for Reefs. It is a "cold" looking light meant to intensify Coral colors.

I do use an Archaea clamp on LED for my rimless 10g. It does grow plants. It is a less inviting color, but it is geared towards plants.

See if the manufacturer can supply PAR and Kelvin specs.

GL :)

True, haha~ that light was from my old Fluval SPEC 2, the 2 gallon version. It was a pico reef tank. The good thing about that light is, you can control specific color or turn it off completely. I turned the blues down to really low and it looks great with planted tank! Here are some pics of my old Fluval SPEC before I sold it. :angel:

rfncufH.jpg

hV8amwx.jpg

QdCsflM.jpg

Marsh had a good idea, if you are near Milpitas, Neptunes runs some Nano tanks and has Nano fish. Same for AquaForest in SF.

My club is local as well if you want to meet some great people with cool tanks, plants and fish.

SFBAAPS is a great resource, you may already know this :)

I get all my plants free from meetings.

I've stumbled upon the site quite a few times, look nice and also informative. I thought something happens to the club since, the last event posted was a few years back. Unless you are referring to another club entirely. :lol:

I was looking into the Dwarf Puffer a few days back, it was very interesting but, it would not match my natural theme and also would murder all my shrimp + snails :lol: Also, the voracious bio loads worries me.

Anyway, I just went out to my lfs(Albany Aquariums) and got my self 3 of these Ember Tetras to test the capability of this tiny tank of mine. The fish it self is really tiny. Their mature size is 0.75" and have low bio loads. I'll be monitoring the parameters like a hawk for now.

Phew~ loooong post.
Thanks for all the help guys, Still have some more question, but need to take a picture for those. I'll be doing that right......... now! :whistle:

Neat I special ordered 5 emperor tetras from my lfs and they arrive next Tuesday. Hehe same taste in fish (I have 6 neons too)

Okay, pictures taken...

Current tank state

OSoqNkM.jpg

Plant growth.

01/30/2013 (10 Days ago)

eG6sU4z.jpg

Today.
Should I cut the Wysteria that grows to above water level? or is it okay to leave them like that?
Also, are those white string from the HC? are those normal?

YeiOsxe.jpg

KQORaqY.jpg

uU8SzYk.jpg

Lastly, the white leave I was talking about. What would be the cause of this?

5EnMCNY.jpg

Thanks again guys!:flowers:

Can you get a shot of the HC that's level with the substrate? It's hard to judge depth from an angle like that.

The white could be caused by nitrate deficiency (easy to rule out), but more likely is caused by massive micronutrient deficiency.

Back
Top Bottom