loud clicking in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

will8

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi all woke up very early this morning, about 3am. son couldnt sleep. any way in the dead of night, i can hear a loud clicking coming from my tank every 30secs or so. i know it is not much to go on. i have lossed a few shrimps and hermits in the passed few weeks, please tell me i have not got a mantis shrimp. wish i had a red light so i could see whats going on at night. thanks.

As far as having a red light, all I do is take a flashlight and put it in one of the red see-through disposable plastic cups that you buy in bulk for a party. However, lately I don't even use it, I've just been using the flashlight without it.

Loud clicking with the associated loss of snails, shrimp, etc. is usually a sign of a mantis (not a pistol) shrimp. The berst trap is probably made form a 1 or 2 liter platic bottle. You cut the bottle at the top 1/3 and invert that into the bottom 2/3. Fill it with tank water and bait it. Place it near where you think the shrimp resides. The shrimp can get in but not out again.

I agree, pistols will snap once as a warning. Are you hearing multiple snaps?

If your crabs are leaving this could be a sign. There are also crabs that will make the hole bigger to fit there size and then hermits will tap on another hermits shell to make him move to steal there spot.

Take a 16 oz cleaned plastic coke bottle , cut the end you drink from about 3 inches down or enough so it can be reversed and pushed back in. Then place some raw shrimp or hermits in there and place on the bottom clse to the clicking. You might get lucky.

Will8, If you have a Mantis and you capture it alive and dont want it PLEASE pm as Im looking for one... :D

Back
Top Bottom