Low ammonia high, nitrite during day 6 of fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragon14

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello everyone,

I am using API Testing Kits (where you use the test tubes and water, I read to not use strips somewhere, so I bought the liquid test kits).

I am on day 6 of a Fishless Cycle for a 10 gallon freshwater tank and right now:
* ammonia is at about .25 -.5 ppm.
* nitrites I think are off the card. It's really hard to tell, it goes from 2 to 5 on the card, no in between. They're definitely over 2, maybe under 5, may be over 5.
* Nitrates are at about 10ppm. This is the FIRST day we measured Nitrates.

From the beginning of my cycle:
Day 1:
1 tsp ammonia added, it read at about 3-4 ppm.

Day 3:
ammonia borderline at about 2ppm

Day 4:
Ammonia between .5 - 1ppm.
added 1/2 tsp ammonia, then it was at about 2-3ppm after waiting about 30 minutes to test.

Day 5:
* the ammonia was 1ppm
* nitrite was high, around 5 probably. We added a 1/2 tsp of ammonia, and I added a pinch of ground up fish food after testing.
Day 5 is the FIRST day we measured nitrites, since I read that it takes up to a week to see anything. Maybe I should have tested sooner, but I did not.

My question is, considering everything above and the fact that my ammonia is low and the nitrites high, is this about normal?
Should we do about a 25% water change since the nitrites are high and then maybe add some ammonia too?
Or should I add some more ammonia and NOT do a water change?

Anything else that I may have forgotten to ask?

Please let me know if you need any more information :) Thanks in advance for helping! I want to make sure we do this right and that it is going well. I was SO SO excited when I got a nitrite reading last night!

I would say your cycle is going very quickly. Did you add some established media or bacteria in a bottle.

You should keep adding ammonia to get you somewhere in the area of 2ppm every day. You don't need to do a water change.

Thank you Dalto :)

I am really happy to hear that it seems to be going quickly! I had a feeling when I saw the nitrites so high last night! The ammonia seems to be lowering quite quickly. I read several guides and websites but the one here seems to be by far the best! I read on another site to check about every 3 days for about 11-12 days, but, I am glad that I was checking every day (except day 2, I didn't check anything on day 2).

Before you replied/before I read your reply, we did about a 30% water change. I added a 1/2 tsp of ammonia afterwards though, and am going to test ammonia and nitrite again before bed :) I am also going to add a little bit of fish food too for some nutrients.

No, we did not add anything to start it. I am a little wary of bacteria in a bottle and such, I've read mixed things about them. We did a half-hearted fishless cycle for almost a month before starting this real cycle 6 days ago, and by half-hearted I mean I put in ground up fish food twice a day daily and hardly checked the water at all. And we did a water change or two. The ammonia was really high. The tank was disgusting from the fish food, and I didn't grind it up very good either sometimes. We cleaned it out, rinsed the filter and the prefilter we put in the intake (since we have a betta fish), so basically started from scratch again, but, the filters may have had a few bacterias that are helpful in it :) Also we started over coz we wanted to have sand anyway instead of gravel.

Thanks again for replying to me! :D

So after the water change and adding the ammonia last night (the first time), the ammonia was around .5ppm.... nitrites still very high.

I added a 1/2 tsp of ammonia, still have to test tonight, but, hmm... maybe this is a good thing? :)

So I didn't test it again right after, but tonight I tested it, ammonia was basically 0, maybe a slight tinge of green but definitely not .25 ppm.

Nitrites still looked sky high... it's SO SO SO hard to tell the difference between 2 and 5 ppm though on the card.... UGH!

Added 3/4 tsp ammonia and will test ammonia before bed...

Back
Top Bottom