Low cost, short time DIY background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ketso

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does it exist?

I am speaking, of course, about the 3D type foam backgrounds. I have seen several tutorials on using concrete, but all of those say you need to "cure" it for several days to several weeks.

I have also seen several using different types of epoxy resins. As of yet, I have only seen one that uses an "affordable" epoxy resin.

The one that I have ran across that seemed affordable was the use of fiberglass epoxy resin. However, after doing a bit more reading, there seemed to be a great deal of people warning against using it in an aquarium. Why? Not sure.

I would love to do something like this but I dont want to have to wait until June to put fish in my tank. So, is there a method that doesnt take 8 weeks of soaking or $100 worth of resins?

Comments/Links/Suggestions? Anything? LOL

well. you could go with concrete over foam, and make it so that you can put it in the tank later. if you make it out of several pieces, you could easily put it in the tank after the fact. the only real issue would be securing it to the wall. and you could probably handle that by lowering the water level a few inches, drying off the glass, and using a silicone adhesive to secure the backgound to the glass. (make sure you give the silicone adequate time to cure before adding water... i.e. 24 hours or more)

or, you could move all your fish into a smaller quarantine tank while the background is installed.

obviously, you would have to look at a background-less tank until your done, but you would have fish in there.

it is definately do-able. you can add it to the tank later...

~mike

The fiberglass resin sprinkled with some form of sand, gravel, or stone is going to be the fastest way to get it done. You can also just paint the styrofoam a color first, but it must be done with a paint that is impervious to the solvents of the resin or it will lift off and wrinkle. I made mine from a green styrofoam sheet that when resined has a natural look to it, and I completed that project in a day or two. Alternatively, you can tint the resin to a certain degree with a universal colorant made for paints, but it will only be a tint, not an opaque color.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom