low light plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bettasalltheway23

Aquarium Advice Regular
Threw out all of my plants today. they were melting back and looking.just plain gross. Can someone suggest low light plants to me that I can get on aquabid, I don't use co2 I just use 2 60w daylight.bulbs. Thanks everyone.

How big is your tank and Java fern is the first right off the top of my head.

To really understand the intensity of your light, you'll need a PAR meter. That's to expensive for me, I don't know about you. The rule of thumb is take your wattage and divide by gallons. That gives you about 1.6 watts per gallon.

To really understand the intensity of your light, you'll need a PAR meter. That's to expensive for me, I don't know about you. The rule of thumb is take your wattage and divide by gallons. That gives you about 1.6 watts per gallon.

I'm supposed to have like 2 per gallon right? or was it 3?

I'm pretty sure 2 is medium, and 3 is getting more into high. You need a certain level of light for certain kind of ants but you can still grow nice plants in low lights.

I'm pretty sure 2 is medium, and 3 is getting more into high. You need a certain level of light for certain kind of ants but you can still grow nice plants in low lights.

Would java fern be the only kind? I heard moss balls grow well under low light.

Java fern, moss balls, java moss, anubias, and bolbitis are all good low light plants.

What plants did you end up killing and where did you buy them? What are you using for lights? Are you adding any ferts?

The watts per gallon rule doesnt really work. You can buy a 13 watt cfl bulb and it will work better than a 100 watt house bulb for plant growth. The PAR is where its gonna be at. According to your watts/bulbs and tank size your actually low light. To achieve high light on a 75g tank, you will need a 4 bulbs T5HO

Java fern, moss balls, java moss, anubias, and bolbitis are all good low light plants.

What plants did you end up killing and where did you buy them? What are you using for lights? Are you adding any ferts?

No fertilizer, and I just threw out some hornwort. Didn't care for it much anyway.

Fertilizer is helpful. I also like the java and windelov ferns and have grown massive swords with low light. For the swords you need root tabs though.

Yes, don't go by watts. I have an 80 gallon display tank, 30 inches high and only use a 55 watt led light fixture. Look at my pics in my profile and see the plants. BTW the fixture is 55 1 watt LEDs. 48 inches long.

Forgot to mention that for plants the K value is important. Mine is 6500K, probably best for plants.

Back
Top Bottom