Low ph..driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jock7575

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,i decided to add a nice piece of driftwood to my small 60 lt freshwater tank,all water perimeters were perfect prior to adding it in.My ph was always a constant 7.0 but now has dropped to 6.4 within a week! any suggestions? thanks

Is the driftwood the only change? Sounds like that is the cause. 6.4 isn't too bad (ok, the quick swing isn't the most ideal) but it depends on what you are keeping I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice assuming the app didn't crash.

Driftwood will lower your pH.

Yes it will. As long as the pH is staying stable don't worry about it. If you really want to buff it back up, though it's fine where it is at, you could do a bag of crushed coral in your filter to buffer it back up.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Hi all,i decided to add a nice piece of driftwood to my small 60 lt freshwater tank,all water perimeters were perfect prior to adding it in.My ph was always a constant 7.0 but now has dropped to 6.4 within a week! any suggestions? thanks

Driftwood releases tannins which lower your pH. Over time it'll stabilize as the driftwood stops releasing tannins, you can counter it by adding crushed coral or egg shells to your filter or tank though which will increase the hardness of your water.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom