Low-Tech 10g Planted Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey, did you order that from Sweet Aquatics? Or mg or sm? Those plants are very healthy looking, +1 to kristin lol

Sweet Aquatics. However, I plan on ordering some shrimps (most likely RCS) and snails from mg (nerite snails mostly for the other 10g and the 55g) and the CPDs from SM.

ph is around 7.4 or so and nitrates are around 10. I'll probably do another pwc this week, and maybe, hopefully, I'll be able to buy some CPDs in the next 2 weeks. RCS and snails might have to wait til my birthday :bawl:

wow. looks freakin awesome!!! i especial love the Ludwigia Repens and the Marselea Quad. tank is looking amazing. i can't wait for the tree either! even if you don't put moss on it it still looks awesome. the CPDs will look so good in that tank.

Thanks :D. I was very surprised how good the aquascaping turned out, although it doesn't make me any less jealous of your's and JOM's tanks haha.

to be honest i'm jealous of yours!!! i love the variety of plants you have. we will be upgrading the lighting on our 20 at some point so hopefully i will be able to get a bit more variety as well. man i really love that dark red one in the back.

Haha thanks. Hopefully it will start to grow towards the light, it looks all crazy now. I'm going to be photo-acclimating them for the next few days. I'm starting out with 4 hrs of light today, and I'll add about 15 min each day until I get around 8 hours per day or so. I'm hoping that with mostly slow growing plants, that I won't have to fertilize or CO2, but eventually there might come a time when I have to. CO2 doesn't seem so bad, I could probably DIY it, but ferts are what confuse me. If I dosed straight to the tank I'd need like 1/32 of a teaspoon, and I don't know where to get that lol. I might be able to mix it up in my prime bottle once its empty but I never was very good with mixture concentrations lol.

The marsilea is emersed. Don't throw them out when the leaves start dying, it will convert. Just fyi :3.

To dose tiny amounts of ferts say 1/32 of a tsp. You get 1/4 tsp ( easy to find at a grocery store) and dissolve it in say 8 ounces of water. Every ounce will dose 1/32 of a tsp.

well I cut a few of the runners off and spread them around (on the same side) to get a head start on the "carpet".

Ok so I'm not sure about this, that's why I'm asking. Would it be too much to keep 7 Espei Rasboras and 7 Von Rio Tetras. I checked aqadvisor, and it said it would be ok, but that's why I wanted to check here. I'm just trying to check out my options ;) lol. I'm probably still going to be getting CPDs just curious.

Ok so I'm not sure about this, that's why I'm asking. Would it be too much to keep 7 Espei Rasboras and 7 Von Rio Tetras. I checked aqadvisor, and it said it would be ok, but that's why I wanted to check here. I'm just trying to check out my options ;) lol. I'm probably still going to be getting CPDs just curious.

^^^

Oh, also, just wanted to say that I think I've actually seen some growth on some of the backgrounds plants, which to me, is really exciting :crazyeyes: lol.

Only slightly better than watching trees grow or rocks disintegrate :p jkjk

Watching those time lapse videos makes it fun though :D

Well, if you set up a tripod (I knnoowww you have a camera) and take a picture a few times a day, then you can set up like a flash slideshow at lke 20fps (but it'll take a bunch of pictures...)

Oh, you might not have a tripod (I still need to get one...)

In my family, we have a bartering system. I'm more technologically adept than my siblings, so if they take my stuff, I threaten to kick them off the network. lol...

Tell her it's for a school project :p The problem is, these time lapse things would take up a ton of space, and also make it so you can't use the camera for like 6 months :p But you'll be my hero, and that's all that matters right?

Oh, I'm not all the way here right now. For some reason I was thinking national geographic and watching trees grow (which is much slower). If you take pictures, and run the video at normal speed, taking 1 picture a day will last around 1 second of video (28.7 or so fps) 30 pictures a day will give you around 30 seconds of video.

Either way, do you really think your sister will let you use her camera for a month? I'm still not sure how they get the battery to last that long, but I guess you wouldn't notice if they stopped the feed and changed the battery since it's moving so quickly.

I was thinking of this video by the way
YouTube - Albizia Julibrissin (mimosa) time lapse 01

Approximately 2140 frames

I guess this would be more realistic

YouTube - Mimosa pudica (touch sensitive plant) Time Lapsed, Touched, and Heated in HD

This one was cool too :p

YouTube - Time-lapse mimosa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftnFz75iQWI

Back
Top Bottom