Low tech carpet plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

graucow

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all, was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on a carpet plant that will do well in a low tech tank. I do not want to run CO2.

What size tank and what style carpet do you want?

Monte Carlo may work... so I've been told.
I tried glosso with no luck, HC loves CO2 so it's out, you could try a Marsilea species or hydrocotyle tripartita.

If money wasn't a factor I would say buy enough individual crypt parva or crypt lutea 'hobbit' and manually plant them into a carpet (this idea is on my bucket list for sure).

If you want a taller carpet look into various micro sword plants or TRUE dwarf sag (buy in a TC cup or from tropica or something to ensure it is Sagittaria subulata)

Without CO2 a carpet is tough, growth is slow and can become "dirty" with mulm and old growth, but with enough patience it's possible.

The tank is a 20 long and I would like a carpet that is no taller than 2 inches, I do plan on dosing flourish excel. I already have a micro sword in the tank and was planning on using it for the carpet but decided it was too tall

The tank is a 20 long and I would like a carpet that is no taller than 2 inches, I do plan on dosing flourish excel. I already have a micro sword in the tank and was planning on using it for the carpet but decided it was too tall

You can try MC, Marsilea or hydrocotyle. A 20 long is easy enough to light well, and excel should be enough to get those going.

Ok well I will try one out and see what happens

Back
Top Bottom