Low tech high light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok alot of my ideas here are based on the walstad tank method. I want a highlight tank but I dont want the co2 and ferts so I had a thought. I know this will be contreversial but Im gonna ask it anyway.
Say I had a 10 gallon tank. Using 2 23 watt compact flourescent at 6500-6700 k should count as highlight :) So I was thinking. I could use a organic soil mix as a bottom layer substrate and topped with pea sized aquarium gravel. The soil adds alot of nutrients (like a miracle grow organic soil) and the gravel traps fish waste for nutrients. Then I could overstock the tank alittle (overstocked for a non planted regular aquarium) that would add extra nutrients and some co2. I was also thinking I could get some fish that require well oxygenated water (afterall if they need alot of oxygen then they probably make alot of co2). Then supplement seachem flourish and maybe some excel. Also dont do water changes until the parameters are slipping so the pants can use excess.
I know this is going to be controversial but if everybody would please understand I am in no way suggesting letting fish sit in polluted poisoned water or overcrowding them. I am more than willing to keep up with the tank and do extra water changes if needed to keep the fish safe and healthy.
So I would like to hear yalls thought (be nice please) and suggestions. This probably is a long out dream but I was curious anyway.
Thanks and God bless!

Hmmm.... I was hoping that wouldnt happen because the fish would add co2 and ferts. My LFS doesnt ever recomend co2 so I thought maybe but I dont trust my LFS lol I may ask the plant expert teir how he does his though.

Back
Top Bottom