Low tech/low light plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MDDad

Aquarium Advice Activist
My current setup is a 29gallon with a standard single-tube, 18w t8 in the hood.

Several sources suggested Java ferns, and possibly Java Moss would do OK in that set up, but not much else.

Thoughts/suggestions?

The spousal unit doesn't want to spend any money on anything but fish for the time being, but down the road I may upgrade lighting.

I don't have a "special" substrate either, so non-rooted plants are probably best.

Anubias would be great. And if it's a standard 29 (long, not tall) you may be able to keep some crypts and bucephalandra. You really are quite limited currently, but there are several types of each of these, as well as a few varieties of java fern. You should easily be able to plant this tank with the current setup. Good luck! :)

Plenty of cryptocorynes would do just fine in low light, as well. If you're not looking for much growth, lots of things can maintain their health in low light.

All of these plants are low light moss, Java fern, Anubias and some guppy grass. Dwarf sag is doing ok to. Myaca and Pennywort have not done well. Jungle Val did great too but I don't have any at the moment. IMG_1479389388.251361.jpg
IMG_1479389403.329034.jpg

Plenty of cryptocorynes would do just fine in low light, as well. If you're not looking for much growth, lots of things can maintain their health in low light.

+1

Crypts are colorful, easy, and make a tank look very natural.

This is Crypt wendtii "Green Gecko". Got it cheap from Han Aquatics. Crypt parva is the small Crypt in the front. VERY SLOW grower.

https://i.imgur.com/8b7A3V8.jpg

Anubias is very easy to take care of as well, as is Java Fern. The Java Fern in the background is Trident Java Fern. Many different options. Just attach to porous rock or driftwood and you're good to go.

https://i.imgur.com/M04fOgh.jpg

Dwarf Sag, Bucephaldra, and Echinodorus (sword plants) are good options as well.

Some low light, low maintanance plants that I have had luck with where moneywort (weird but for me it grows well in low light) Bacopa Caroliniana, sword plants, and java moss is the easiest, it grows inside my filter, it needs no light what so ever haha. And I have a t8, 17 watt 24'' tube light in my hood.

Back
Top Bottom