Low Tech Planted Lighting Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The 30" takes the 24" bulbs, as it lists it as taking 2x24w bulbs, if it took the 30" bulbs it would be listed as 2x31w.

30in 2Bulbs fixtures

Yea, I just figured that out. Should've known that by looking at all the other 24" fixtures I've seen online :facepalm:. I am so glad that FNI makes this fixture in a 30 inch, should fit my tank quite perfectly. Thanks to the wonderful people here at AA! Probably would have ended up paying way too much for some other fixture and ended up kicking myself in the head!

Anyone know of any coupons or such for FNI? (Am I even allowed to ask this here.) Also, anyone know where I can get Geisemann bulbs for a decent price?

I don't know of any coupons, not sure if they run promos like that but it's probably worth a google anyway. No clue on the bulbs, I've seen them on ebay pretty cheap but that's the limit of my experience with them.

You might want to see if they give a discount if you get the fixture only and get your own bulbs, if your plan was to replace the bulb right away anyhow.

You could also tell them your plan, they might have some or a supplier for those particular bulbs.

jetajockey said:
I don't know of any coupons, not sure if they run promos like that but it's probably worth a google anyway. No clue on the bulbs, I've seen them on ebay pretty cheap but that's the limit of my experience with them.

You might want to see if they give a discount if you get the fixture only and get your own bulbs, if your plan was to replace the bulb right away anyhow.

You could also tell them your plan, they might have some or a supplier for those particular bulbs.

That's a great idea! I actually emailed Simon at FNI regarding some other charges, so I'll be sure to ask him about discounted prices/bulbs. Now why didn't I think of this.

Just a little update:
Got a response back from Simon at FNI, and I asked which fixture he recommends for my tank, either the 24" or 30". He kindly asked me to send him some pictures of my tank so that he would have a better idea. Haven't heard back from him regarding purchasing a fixture with no bulbs. If he can't do this, should I get two 10000k or two 6500k bulbs?

jetajockey said:
Personally I'd go with the 6500ks I like the color better and they are supposedly better for plant growth. This obviously depends on the spectrum but generally a 6500k bulb is one geared towards growing plants.

This is a long read but it really breaks down the lighting stuff.
Aquarium Lighting; Reef, Planted Light Information. PAR, Bulb, Watt, Kelvin, Nanometers, MH, LED.

Thanks for the link. Only got through about half haha, but based on what I've read so far, I'll either go with two 6500k, or one 6500k, since it's good for plant growth, and one 10000k for deeper penetration of light, since my tank is roughly 21" high. That is, if Simon from FNI will offer me different bulbs then what is posted on their site. Thoughts?

Side note: I plan to finish the rest of that article.

A lot of people go with the 6500/10000k combo, the 10000ks give a brighter white, like operating room white and the 6500 mellows it out a little. While I think that a 6500k geared toward plant growth is best, any combination of them will work, so it's your call.

UPDATE: spoke with Simon from FNI, and decided to purchase their 24" 2 bulb T5HO fixture. I was seriously debating the 30", but if I wanted to use the legs, I wouldn't be able to with my hood. Guess I'll use the legs on the 24" and just simply place the light on top of my hood. Can't wait till I get it in!

I just traded emails with him about this same light. I think I am going with the 30" and just set it right on the hood. He seemed to think that would work fine. How did things work out with the bulbs? I noted on the site blue, 20,000 or 10,000 as the only options. I sent an email asking if I can get 6700 and 10,000.

Saltair said:
I just traded emails with him about this same light. I think I am going with the 30" and just set it right on the hood. He seemed to think that would work fine. How did things work out with the bulbs? I noted on the site blue, 20,000 or 10,000 as the only options. I sent an email asking if I can get 6700 and 10,000.

Hello, thanks for your post! I had such a hard time debating between the 24" and 30". Ultimately, I decided to go with the 24" because I feel that it will be more than enough light for my tank. What kind of tank do you have? As far the bulbs, Simon said the reason why the 30 only shows the 10 and 20K is because the site isn't updated, lol. You can specify which bulbs you want though. During the checkout process there's a section for notes. And I don't mean to disappoint, but I'm pretty sure they only have 6500k bulbs and not the 6700k. I know, bummer.

I'm getting the 6500k and 10000k. A lot of members here on AA seem to have, and like this setup. I would love to see some pics when you get yours and set it up!

I have a 29 gallon that has been running for a little over a year. I had a few plants in it, but wasn't paying that much attention to them I just like the idea of natural plants. Everything but the Java Fern eventually died off so I bought a plant package that was supposed to work with my stock lighting. It was quicly apparent that that was not going to be the case so I bout a Aqualight with two 18W T5 bulbs. It was inexpensive and working well until it melted on my tank a couple days ago. I am hoping the 48W T5HO wont b too much. I am going for the low end of Medium. I dont want to get more complex than dosing Flourish.

Saltair said:
I have a 29 gallon that has been running for a little over a year. I had a few plants in it, but wasn't paying that much attention to them I just like the idea of natural plants. Everything but the Java Fern eventually died off so I bought a plant package that was supposed to work with my stock lighting. It was quicly apparent that that was not going to be the case so I bout a Aqualight with two 18W T5 bulbs. It was inexpensive and working well until it melted on my tank a couple days ago. I am hoping the 48W T5HO wont b too much. I am going for the low end of Medium. I dont want to get more complex than dosing Flourish.

Sorry to hear about your light melting. I'm sure 48W will be just fine with your 29g. I don't think you'll run into the issue of too much light. If this is the case though, maybe get some floating plants like duckweed, or elevate your fixture somehow. How long is your 29g and are you using a hood?

Currently I'm dosing with Flourish Excel and Comprehensive. But I'm also only a week into my fish-in cycle, and yet to add more plants than 3 Jungle Vals. Got some coming in the mail though!

2x24 t5ho on a 29 is a lot of light, especially if its a higher end fixture like a FNI, so you may have issues if you are trying to keep it low-medium tech. The good thing is that it's much easier to reduce light intensity than it is to raise it. As was mentioned, if there is an issue you can raise the fixture up higher or add some kind of material to help diffuse the light a little bit.

I am using a hood and the tank is 30". Not having a hood isn't really an option for me. I Figured I might be getting too much light, but like you said also figured it was easier to cut down the output of the light, than end up with something that wasn't enough. The Aqualight was pretty good with 2X18W T5's, but I dont want to see another one melt, and the FNI seemed like a good fixture at a good price.

My Vals didn't seem to like Excel so i stopped using it.

Saltair said:
I am using a hood and the tank is 30". Not having a hood isn't really an option for me. I Figured I might be getting too much light, but like you said also figured it was easier to cut down the output of the light, than end up with something that wasn't enough. The Aqualight was pretty good with 2X18W T5's, but I dont want to see another one melt, and the FNI seemed like a good fixture at a good price.

My Vals didn't seem to like Excel so i stopped using it.

The 30" should be perfect. Can you post some pics when you get it? My Vals don't seem to be doing too well either. Might end up taking them out, or just leave them and hope for the best haha. Do you know when plants can get dangerous to the fish?

Back
Top Bottom