Low Tech Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zgibbs

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone had any success with Staurogyne repens in a low tech tank? If so, did you use any co2 supplements?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Limited success. I planted it in my shrimp tank. At the time it had EcoComplete substrate and was lit by a dual T-8 normal output fluorescent fixture. Looooowww light. The Staur repens stayed alive in the tank for several months. It grew taller/lankier than usual and overall growth was very slow.
No CO2 supplements or fertilizers were used.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Limited success. I planted it in my shrimp tank. At the time it had EcoComplete substrate and was lit by a dual T-8 normal output fluorescent fixture. Looooowww light. The Staur repens stayed alive in the tank for several months. It grew taller/lankier than usual and overall growth was very slow.
No CO2 supplements or fertilizers were used.

Thanks for the reply.

I have a dirted tank, and use Finnex planted plus. All my low light plants grow really well. I think I'd try to use Excel or I may try to find a different carpeting plant.

Thanks for the reply.

I have a dirted tank, and use Finnex planted plus. All my low light plants grow really well. I think I'd try to use Excel or I may try to find a different carpeting plant.

What's the size of the tank? I use a planted+ in my high tech planted tank. It's a shallow tank; 12" / 20g long. I grew Staur repens pretty well using a less powerful light (Finnex FugeRay).
Edit: In the last two weeks I pulled two clumps of Staur repens out my tank. Below is one of them. Right now it's just sitting in my holding tank:
JD88LWDh.jpg

Last edited:
It's a 5 gallon. I also have a 20long, but that's not getting setup just yet.

Crypt parva makes a nice low tech foreground plant. Although, if you are not a patient person, it wouldn't be the best plant for you. It is a very slow grower.

Back
Top Bottom