Low to medium light ground cover plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mayette

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm looking for some nice ground cover plants. I tried glossostigma and baby dwarf tears but both melted away. I have a fluval edge so it's hard to get good lighting. Would it be possible to grow baby dwarf tears? How much work would I have to put into it? Also, if you could suggest some low light plants for the corners of the aquarium it would be appreciated!

Hey, check out the thread in my signature below. I also have a Fluval EDGE and I manage to grow Baby Dwarf Tears just fine =) I have done some simple modifications to lighting but nothing too extreme. Hope this helps you out! =D

Hey, check out the thread in my signature below. I also have a Fluval EDGE and I manage to grow Baby Dwarf Tears just fine =) I have done some simple modifications to lighting but nothing too extreme. Hope this helps you out! =D

You also have aftermarket lighting and CO2, both of which are necessary to get a nice carpeting effect.

This is true. Though it is a DIY CO2 set up and cost next to nothing. The lights were a small price to pay if you would like healthy plant growth. Well worth it. If this does not appeal to you I'm sure other people will chip in and give you some more plant ideas =)

Ever thought about mosses? Java moss is quite hardy and can make a nice carpet effect.

Thanks for your replies :)

I have been thinking about changing the halogen to LEDs so I think I'll order the ones you have if you still recommend them basefrog.
Though I am looking around for other lighting mods because I like how the fluval edge is very minimal in appearance and doesn't have a lot of things going on on top of it.

I have thought of java moss, though I really like the baby dwarf tears haha
If it doesn't work out I will fall back on the java moss.

Also about the CO2 set up,this is my first time hearing about it.
I will research more and try to make one but is there a way I could have it without a tube hanging around?
Sorry, I'm being difficult but I just don't like the look of tubes hanging around.

It's fine =) Yes I would still recommend the LED lights. There are plenty on DIY CO2 guides online and YouTube! Yeah I didn't like the tube hanging down either. So I have now moved it into the filter so that it is out of site.

I dont understand how java moss works as a ground cover? Then again knowing my LFS they may be pointing to the wrong thing when the say java moss.

Yeah they grow pretty well. Though they started to melt off in the first month ish. But I suppose this is because they were grown above water and were 'shredding' those leaves to grow new ones. So don't panic 100% if they show signs of melting a little. Also they are slow growers but never the less they still grow =)

Yeah they grow pretty well. Though they started to melt off in the first month ish. But I suppose this is because they were grown above water and were 'shredding' those leaves to grow new ones. So don't panic 100% if they show signs of melting a little. Also they are slow growers but never the less they still grow =)

Thanks for the advice.
I ordered the lights, hopefully they come soon!
I'm excited to get started!
Btw, your new red cherry shrimps look great!

Back
Top Bottom