Lowlight plant suggestions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm working on planting my 55g and need some suggestions on a few plants... Quick responses would be greatly appreciated, I need to get an idea of what to have LFS order as today will be the last day I can; starting a new job next week so I will be busy and won't have time to order them before LFS deadline for orders. I'm looking for is a good ground cover and some kind of tall grass like plant that would reach and top of the water and lay on the water if that makes sense...
Something to help give a shaded area on one side. I've seen crypt spiralis and crypt balansea and really like them, as far as ground cover I like dwarf four leaf clover or dwarf hair grass, but I'm not sure how they would do in my tank. I've ordered the seachem plant enhancer pack, root tabs, and a liquid co2 booster that should be arriving Tuesday. I'm running 2 cfl's in clip on lamps (currently have two, I am adding lamps as I get more plants). The cfl's are daylight 6500k 13w (60w equivalent- energy saver type). I currently have what I think is crypt parva. Thanks for the help!

Java moss, Java fern, Water Wisteria, Water Sprite, Some say Amazon Sword, I have Brazillian Pennywort, Money Wort. Crypts, Anacharis Will grow tall, Guppy Grass, Hornwort/coontail,
Plants they will try to get you to buy but DONT do it: Ribbon plant, Lucky Bamboo, Mondo Grass, Green Hedge, Semi-aquatic plants in those tubes.
Check out the Classified section here, several people are selling trimmings cheaper than the store and you get a lot more for your buck

Java moss, Java fern, Water Wisteria, Water Sprite, Some say Amazon Sword, I have Brazillian Pennywort, Money Wort. Crypts,
Plants they will try to get you to buy but DONT do it: Ribbon plant, Lucky Bamboo, Mondo Grass, Green Hedge, Semi-aquatic plants in those tubes.
Check out the Classified section here, several people are selling trimmings cheaper than the store and you get a lot more for your buck

Any suggestions as far as he crypts I mentioned? I've read mixed things about the balansea, which honestly I'm leaning more towards than the crypt spiralis, that they can grow in low-moderate lighting but ive also read they are strictly moderate lighting. I'm debating between if I want amazon sword or java fern... I'm very very torn on them... Cannot make up my mind! Ahhh!

Any suggestions as far as he crypts I mentioned? I've read mixed things about the balansea, which honestly I'm leaning more towards than the crypt spiralis, that they can grow in low-moderate lighting but ive also read they are strictly moderate lighting. I'm debating between if I want amazon sword or java fern... I'm very very torn on them... Cannot make up my mind! Ahhh!

I grew Balansea in a low tech excel tank and it was fine, grew slower than the other crypts though. A sword will get to big for a 10g, the root system gets huge and you tear up your tank when you take it out.

I grew Balansea in a low tech excel tank and it was fine, grew slower than the other crypts though. A sword will get to big for a 10g, the root system gets huge and you tear up your tank when you take it out.

If I said 10g that was a mistake, I have a 55g, sorry! If the balansea grows slower that's fine with me, as long as it keeps growing and eventually gets tall that's all that matters to me! :)

The 4 leaf clover or dwarf 4 leaf will both do fine in your set up. Dwarf hair grass would need more light IMO. Corkscrew val would work well for a verticle grass, it grows slow, but can grow up to about 25". The issue with Jungle Val is it's leaves grow 2-3' long and will lay all over the surface of your water. You can also do a Red Tiger Lotus for color. I'd also get a couple Red or Bronze Crypt Wendtii's to add alittle more non-green color to your tank.

The 4 leaf clover or dwarf 4 leaf will both do fine in your set up. Dwarf hair grass would need more light IMO. Corkscrew val would work well for a verticle grass, it grows slow, but can grow up to about 25". The issue with Jungle Val is it's leaves grow 2-3' long and will lay all over the surface of your water. You can also do a Red Tiger Lotus for color. I'd also get a couple Red or Bronze Crypt Wendtii's to add alittle more non-green color to your tank.

Aren't Val's prone to melting?

I only keep Corkscrew val and have never had issues with it. I even keep it in the coldwater goldfish tanks. Jungle val melts with use of Excel but I use a high dose of liquid carbon daily and my Corkscrew vals do great, no melting.

If I said 10g that was a mistake, I have a 55g, sorry! If the balansea grows slower that's fine with me, as long as it keeps growing and eventually gets tall that's all that matters to me! :)

Bah got threads mixed up, sorry.

I only keep Corkscrew val and have never had issues with it. I even keep it in the coldwater goldfish tanks. Jungle val melts with use of Excel but I use a high dose of liquid carbon daily and my Corkscrew vals do great, no melting.

Ok. Thanks a lot! LFS has access to a lot of plants right now and I want to get them while they have them. Also this paycheck I had no bills due for once.. So I'm trying to get things I want while I have the money!

Back
Top Bottom