LPS hitchhiker ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Becks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is my first tank. It is about 2 weeks old with live rock added three days ago and first fish yesterday. The sandbed is about 3" from an established aquarium. Live Rock from ReeferMadness came with purple, red, orange, and green. Many of these colors are brightening up a lot already and small things seem to be sprouting out in various places on the rock.

Can anyone tell if the circled spots are anything more than rock? In real life you can see they seem to be discreet entities protruding from crevices in the rock and branching with forks in different directions.

What do you think? Am I crazy? THanks! Becks

Attachments

• maybe_something_911.gif
    maybe_something_911.gif
    106.2 KB · Views: 63
WELCOME TO AA!!

It is really difficult to see those. Is there any chance you can get a closer pic?

Welcome to AA!

Those things are probably hard skeletons of past coral. Maybe nothing at all. Did you cycle your tank and how? Pls make sure you're testing (now and often over the next week or two) the water for ammonia.

Also, you mioght help us help you better if you provided some specifics on your set up. What sized tank for instance. And describe your cycling and give your current water readings.

Welcome to AA

I have to ask also did you cycle your tank? If not you`ll be getting a spike in ammonia and nitrites.

WoW, Thanks for the quick responses!
I have a 24 gal Aqua-Pod (standard lighting).. Water testing approximately 1 hour ago gives:
Ammonia - 0, Nitrate - 0, Nitrate - 0.... Yesterday I tested pH at 8.0, Alkalinity in normal range and salinity at 1.024 . For testing I have "Red Sea" test labs and also a gadget my boyfriend gave me for salinity that you put water drops onto and look into the light. I think he called it a spectrometer but I don't really remember.

I didn't cycle the tank because of getting the established sand bed. This is Carib Sea aragonite from his old tank. Although he had abandoned it for a while, it came to me with a couple of little red worms alive in it so I think it was in pretty good condition. There is about 20 pounds of live rock ("fully cured" Kailini) plus a shy chalk bass and a funny looking Pyjama Cardinal.

My camera won't focus any closer on those little nibs. I guess I'll just keep an eye on them to see if they grow. Everything else on the rock sems to be changing by the hour!

What do I do if the ammonia or nitrites spike? Someone told me this will kill the fish - if they are alive when I see it happening, could I move them temporarily to safe place? Also - how long might it take to get those things under control if I do have a problem?

Yikes, now I'm scared! I don't want to kill fish!!

Its called a refractometer. Just keep a close eye on it. Maybe it might not be as bad with the cured LR in it. If you can get some more cured LR it will help. If you see a spike do a 25% PWC every couple days till the reading is back to 0. Also check for nitrites.

What do I do if the ammonia or nitrites spike? Someone told me this will kill the fish - if they are alive when I see it happening, could I move them temporarily to safe place? Also - how long might it take to get those things under control if I do have a problem?

Keep some pre-mixed and airated water handy in case of water change needs. Do this anyway, not just for new tanks IMO. Premixed, aged (a day'll do) SW is always a good thing to have on hand.

You may be alright if the rock was cured and seeded in addition to the sand with critters already living in it. Just keep watch on those readings and you should be alright.

Keep us posted.

Thanks guys!
I will do all those things and also watch my mystery nibs... . How long do you think I should be vigilant about the water? I mean, I know you have to watch all the time but how long before I can sort of feel secure that I won't be getting the initial algae bloom cycles?

Also - can you tell me where the link is on this site to enter my own profile / tank inforamtion? I can't seem to find it. Thanks again! Becks!

Becks said:
Also - can you tell me where the link is on this site to enter my own profile / tank inforamtion? I can't seem to find it. Thanks again! Becks!
Go to the home page, under the "welcom Becks", go to update profile.

If you have bristleworms alive in your substrate (the worms you were talking about), I would test the water 2-3 times a week, it sounds like you skipped the cycle, but just keep checking, for then next week or two.

Back
Top Bottom