LR effected by salinity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hc8719

Aquarium Advice Addict
hey guys, still cycling the tank with LR and base rock. i forgot to check the salt levels (studying for exams, wont happen again) and the salt rocketed from 1.021 to 1.026

how much damage did i do to my tank, will the nitrifying bacteria on the LR be effected?

i didnt have any little critters, not one stowaway on 6 lbs of LR, so no worries there

my ammonia levels did drop from 2.0 to somewhere between 1 to .5 and im hoping it continues even with the salinity flucuations

Minimal damage to just base/lr as far as the bacteria is concerned. How did the sg change so quickly?

probably from water evaporation! I know if I slip a water change and delay it a few day's, or even a week (like If I go on vacation) it will rocket!

I agree it probably was due to evaporation but in a 20 gal tank it would take a week for it to change that much. That's why I asked.

Slow sg changes that happen over a week is much less dangerous then drastic changes that happen within minutes like not checking the sg level correctly when doing a pwc.

Bacteria is fairly resilient and can easily handle sg changes over a long time but are more affected by rapid changes. Since the tank is still cycling it's not much of an issue right now.

I agree that the damage is minimal but a big jump like that if you had fish or corals would be rough. Luckily you`re going through your cycle. Make sure you add FW top off every day to keep your salinity from making large bounces like that. Hope all goes well.

I agree with the rest. Are you topping off with SW? Remember, water evaporates a lot more quickly thatn the salt, so you should use FW.

no sweat, assuming it's just the result of forrgetting to top off for a couple of days

the water was at 76F, (but felt a bit warmer, or maybe i was just cold) and i dont have eggcrate or anything over the tank, so i guess its reason enough to evaporate. never had it do it that quick though, didnt think much of it, only because i dont have fish yet.

*sigh, yes roka, i top off with fw, you've asked me that several times in various threads, lol

thanks

evaporation rates are going to change based on the seasons and conditions in your home. I would ask why you keep a sg of 1.021? 1.023-1.025 is what most keep their reefs at.

I agree that during the cycle period, it should not be an issue. Definately want to stay more consistent once you get some livestock in there.

hc8719 said:
*sigh, yes roka, i top off with fw, you've asked me that several times in various threads, lol
I know, I just like to add that, for newer folks, that may not realize the fact.
ellisz said:
I would ask why you keep a sg of 1.021? 1.023-1.025 is what most keep their reefs at.
I keep my FOWLR at 1.020, to reduce the stress in the fish. I agree, it should be higher in a reef tank.

Back
Top Bottom