LTA help needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmor1701d

Aquarium Advice Addict
My LTA has completely out of the substrate. It looks like a shell is cutting into its foot. I've had this anemone for over two years during which time it has quadrupled in size. It's under 150w MH lighting and has been in the corner of the tank since it settled down a few days after it to the tank. It normally feeds on whatever I place in the tank though I have been target feeding it a little silverside once a week or so for the past few months.

Should I leave it alone, frag it, try to remove the shell?
Any ideas?

TIA

Attachments

• lta-full_204.jpg
    lta-full_204.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 43
  • lta-full-now_177.jpg
    lta-full-now_177.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 35
  • lta-shell-foot_472.jpg
    lta-shell-foot_472.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 40
  • lta-today_148.jpg
    lta-today_148.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 39
I would leave it alone for now. The shell isn't a threat to it. It's decision to get up and move could be anything as minor shift in water movement, light spectrum, temps, etc. I'd wait it out for now. As long as the anemone itself doesn't appear stressed. I would stop feeding it though until it gets settled again. HTH

Thanks Cindy.

The shell is not the problem. I stuck a gloved hand there and the shell just came away. I guess it got stuck to the foot as the foot came up. There has been a change in the flow in the past week, so maybe that's it.

I've had it completely submerse under the sand when scared e.g my fat hand hits it when in the tank doing maintenance, but it always comes back out after some time. I've seen it curl into a ball for a period of time (which it did last night) only to completely open again a few hours later.

There are days when I thought it was getting too big for the tank when it would stretch out and take over the entire corner of the tank.

This is a new one.

I just checked the water params and might as well post the numbers
Temp 80
pH 8.3
Alk 7.0 dKH- 1.7 meq/L
NH3 0
NO2 0
NO3 3 - 5 ppm
Ca 335 ppm
Mg 1125 ppm
PO4 .03 or less

PWC being done tomorrow (15% 2x/mo)