Lump on dorsal fin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garfy

Aquarium Advice Addict
My female eye biter has a lump on her dorsal fin it is slowly growing.
She seems in no discomfort and behaves normally in fact she is actually holding.
Can anybody help diagnose this strange lump.

image-1718877949.jpg

Garfy, it's really hard to tell from that picture. Is the pinkish growth fuzzy like tissue or lumpy like a tumor? I'm sure we don't need to ask about water quality and general parameters. It sort of reminds me of Lymphocystis, which is non-lethal viral infection.

Last edited:
I would treat that as a bactieral infection, if no other fish is being affected I'd isolate and treat as this helps control cost of medication.

What kinds of medications are available to you?

HUKIT said:
I would treat that as a bactieral infection, if no other fish is being affected I'd isolate and treat as this helps control cost of medication.

What kinds of medications are available to you?

Believe it or not in 2 years of keeping Africans I've never had a sick fish and have never had to treat at all.Im not even sure where to begin.
I will go to my lfs and see what they have for bacterial infection.
Are there any particular meds you would recommend so I can see if they are available?

I've always relied on Jungles medications, they are inexpensive and work very well. Otherwise other brands like Mardel Maracyn 1&2 or API's Triple Sulfa, or Seachem's Kanaplex(my 2nd choice) would also fit the bill.

I've only had one illness over the years that I had fish perish, this was Columnaris which ripped through my mbuna tank killing 17 fish before i could stop it. If I was a betting man I would say she'll be fine, fry included. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom