M. boesemani eggs/fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FLFishFanatic

Aquarium Advice Activist
*Pictures are in thumbnail format at bottom of post, sorry! :oops:

Following the set-up of our 65 gallon aquarium and transferring over the rainbowfish and community, I still have about 40% stocking left. I've been itching to expand my bosemani rainbow shoal, so instead of buying some at an LFS, I looked to breeding my own stock.

After a conditioning period of two weeks, the rainbows spent about 3 days in the breeding tank. When removed from the tank, they left the Java Moss containing eggs.

Tank Details:
Temperature - 81 F
pH - 6.9
Size - 35 Gallons
Conditioned On - Boiled then finely chopped spinach, freeze-dried bloodworms, staple flake food.
- Natural Sunlight strikes the tank every morning of the span.

More to come when the eggs hatch! That's the hardest part... but I'm prepared. :cool:

Attachments

• 076.jpg
    076.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 110
  • 075.jpg
    075.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 074.jpg
    074.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 102
I don't see any pics... were they supposed to be any? You can direct upload from photobucket or picasa, its a lot easier IMO :) And I love pics!

Cool! I've got Praecox rainbows that have spawned without my knowing it. I've got one male that survived and is about an inch and a half long now.

I love the Boesemanis, but my tank isn't big enough for them.

I've always loved Praecox, and I wish I had another 3 footer to try another rainbow species.

I've got my Praecox in a 29g. They'll be moved to a 40B when I get some time and money to set it up. I may have to try feeding them some vegetables. I didn't think they'd eat anything but meat. You should see them attack a frozen brine shrimp cube. One big male actually choked down an entire waxworm I dropped in the tank for my pictus.

The first of the fry have hatched! I can see about 15 of them. It is Day 2 of the 3 day hatching period for these rainbows, so I hope to see a few more.

They are tiny, clear, and hard to photograph. The only visible body parts I can see is the eyes and yolk sac.

Back
Top Bottom