Macro algae in nano tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishcrack

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is it possible to grow macroalgae in the sump of a nano tank? I have the 24 gallon deluxe (extra lighting option) nano cube. I'd like to add macroalgae to stabalize my water parameters. However, my sump is at the back of the tank and is narrow and I assume is fairly dark. Will any of the varieties of macroalgae survive in those conditions? Thanks.

I don't know much about nanos, but if there is no light, you might not be able to keep a macro alive. They are generally photosynthetic (need light). I'm not sure if they could survive on nitrAtes alone.

Hello there mother. Didn't know you signed up on the forum. I've recruited two family members to the forums now. I should get a badge or something. I've considered putting macro in our kind of nano tanks and i don't think there would be enough light back there. The back part is so tall and skinny with so little area on top exposed to the light anyway that the macro would not grow well.

Well TECHNICALLY I had the first saltwater tank in the house, so it is you two that got the addiction from me :)

haha it all started with one 90 gallon reef... now cumulative we have the 90, a 55, a 26 gallon cube, 12 gallon cube, a frag tank on the way and now a possible picotope. Oh and there is a 50/50 chance my school is gonna give away their 125 gallon come fall and im the first in line for it :D Seriously is a baaaddd addiction..but yet so goood..

haha it all started with one 90 gallon reef... now cumulative we have the 90, a 55, a 26 gallon cube, 12 gallon cube, a frag tank on the way and now a possible picotope. Oh and there is a 50/50 chance my school is gonna give away their 125 gallon come fall and im the first in line for it :D Seriously is a baaaddd addiction..but yet so goood..
baaaddd for your wallet
goood for your soul
I like watching my tanks, but boy do I spend a lot on them! :???: And that's not even counting the affect on my electric bills.

all you need to light your macro i think is a very cheap bulb, really whatever you can afford... but i saw a thread with macro growing under a regular 5000k shop light thingie and it was working great.

Now that I think of it, top-offs and PWCs would alleviate the need for a macro. Those are really for nutrient export. So, basically, of you stay on par with your PWCs, you really shouldn't need macros. Wow, it only took me almost a month to think of that...my poor fish....! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom