macro algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

metree7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
can I put macro algea directly in my DT without having to put it in a refugium? I would like to put some in there for aesthetics purposes, but I know that they are beneficial in many ways. I just want a healthy portion of "greens" in my tank. Any other plants or ideas?

I think you mean macro algea. They are the green plant like algea like the calerpa`s. Micro algea is your nuisance algeas like hair algea and you dont need that. One thing about macro algea is that it will take over your tank unless you have a way of depleting it.

Not only what Mike said, but some types of macro algaes will go sexual. Meaning the "plant" part dies and hundreds to thousands of spores are released into your tank. This can cause the water to turn green and can result in a major die off of things in the tank.

For example, a tank that looks like this;
img_1167463_0_35c0e3bc0572a510c7da5cbb390669c2.jpg

Becomes this over night;
img_1167463_1_90e73d927e1be7bfa8f25b1518f242d6.jpg

Certain types of macro algae are more prone to this than others.

Yes, I did mean macro algea. It does sound a bit complicated on trying to find the right kind. and I definitely dont want to have what I see in those photos. Maybe I should'nt venture in that realm. I just wanted a couple of plants.

Yes, I did mean macro algea. It does sound a bit complicated on trying to find the right kind. and I definitely dont want to have what I see in those photos. Maybe I should'nt venture in that realm. I just wanted a couple of plants.

It can be done successfully, just do it cautiously and with lots and lots of research into the type of macro algae you are considering.

I keep grape calerpa in my refugium. To prevent it from going asexual i Keep my refuge lighting on 24/7 and keep it pruned back and not overcrowded. I`ve had it in my tank for over 12 years now. I take a ball of it out and put it in the main for these guys. It does not make it two days.

029.jpg

Back
Top Bottom