macros in display?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ive been wanting the look of macros in my display for quite a while and since my tank looms bare after losing most of my coral, I thought now would be a good time to give it a try.

Currently I have caulerpa prolifera and Caulerpa racemosa peltata that I like the look of that's already growing in my refugium. Does anyone have any thoughts or comments on these two? I've heard a lot of mixed reviews so far.

What other macros would be good to go in a display?

While I've never run a macro tank so I can't be much help, blue scroll macro is by far my favorite and would make a nice addition IMO.

I wouldn't ever put a caulpera in the display. That stuff gets root or something, you'll never get it out. I've seen a handful of tanks that are always pulling it out after they made the mistake.
Now, macro in the display can still look really nice, you just have to be careful with what you pick as to not being overwhelmed by it. I have some odd red one I've not been able to ID that I really enjoy, but have what I believe is pavona that just grows all through the tank like a week.

the two you listed grow like weeds unless you plan on trimming every other day i would say no .
im a big fan of red macros but for some reason its hard to find good healthy specimens
this year and mostly all the reds are slower growers
this was my old 40g before i tore it down last fall
i sure miss it
i want to do my 90 up in macros they just grow on you
img_3045696_0_88d147c774e8df36e446a57be4343843.jpg

Just starting to look at adding some macros to my tank and found this old thread. Did you ever add any? What are your thoughts? Found these on ebay I was considering?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Scroll...16?pt=Coral_and_Live_Rock&hash=item3a9a5819d8

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Grape-M...95?pt=Coral_and_Live_Rock&hash=item3a9b9e78ef

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
I'm not too sure on the red grape but the scroll algae is supposed to do good.

I'm growing the caulerpa prolifera atm and am seeing if it's going to be invasive. Its grown onto a few rocks which I pulled it off of. If it starts growing again on the rocks from the roots still stuck to the rock I will end up pulling it out of my tank.

I would say that you would be fine growing anything edible, but a few types of caulerpa are somewhat toxic to fish and inverts, like caulerpa taxifolia for example. I have a ton of this in my refugium, but put some in the dt and none of the fish will touch it. With no natural control, it can be a pain to keep from going crazy. Grape caulerpa would be a fine addition as tangs and crabs love it.
Both of these have anchoring appendages, like a root system, and will latch on pretty well.

Red bush algae is cool in my tank. They're slow macro growers. They looked cool in my tank before I killed my rocks. I've keep some samples to make them grow back on desired spots.
redmacro.JPG

Also purple coralline is cool.

Just starting to look at adding some macros to my tank and found this old thread. Did you ever add any? What are your thoughts? Found these on ebay I was considering?

Blue Scroll Macro Algae Plus Bonus | eBay

Red Grape Macro Algae Botryocladia SP Plus Bonus | eBay

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

this is where I buy mine you get a lot for your money
I got so much I did both my tanks and sold the rest to the pet store
so all in all it was free:D
this tank is getting the wild effect once the greens get here I can finish it
Looks better in person than in pict , there next dive is the day after thanksgiving , and I get first choice on what they harvested

Macro Algae: Your Source For Quality Marine Plants and Macroalgae | Gulf Coast Ecosystems

before and after of my predator tank

img_3093634_0_7f8120661e3fb19386a40ec3ac996f4b.jpg

img_3093634_1_4eea5d61e4755184de5d0a130e385122.jpg

this is my 90g still waiting on my greens to break up the reds will most likely remove some reds to even it out , this is my first attempt still trimming and shaping but once all the trimming is done and greens are added it is going to look awesome

img_3093634_2_1eb7b939a5898699bb39b3c3fec45373.jpg

the only thing is ordering off ebay you get just the small strand they show
for $3. more you can get over a 1/4lb what you don't use sell it to fellow reefers or just sell it to your pet store than your portions are free

Like the tanks 54seaweed! And thanks for sharing the info for where to buy. I didn't see blue scroll listed, do you know if they sell it? Their website said they are closed this week so I'll try to call next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Like the tanks 54seaweed! And thanks for sharing the info for where to buy. I didn't see blue scroll listed, do you know if they sell it? Their website said they are closed this week so I'll try to call next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

it's called padina it's a green macro but under the lights it turns blue (y)
needs very high light strong current

i wish i had somewhere to buy macros in canada, only thing i can get is caulerpa or chaeto

theres a few vendors in canada but like you said they are limited to certain macro's
some of the macro's we have here in the states certain states have them listed as illegal to purchase
maybe it's the same way in canada

Back
Top Bottom