Made a mistake need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FFEMT58

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so i added 3 turquoise rainbows (2 male 1 female) to my tank yesterday (monday).
Today just now, 1 of them died (male). But i did do 30% water change and quick surface vacume the night before adding the 3 rainbows.

From the research i did i just figured out i made the mistake of adding new fish after a water change, therefore increasing the bioload most likely.

I only have an ammonia test kit and the readings are zero. I check them after the water change sunday and just now after i found my rainbow dead.

I did use caution to add new fish as i always do (put bag from LFS in tank to balance temp, not put LFS water in my tank, etc.

The dead rainbow had no signs of abuse from my other fish.

My question is what can i do to save my other 2 rainbows. They seem to be doing great as of now i just don't want to lose them also. Anything i should be doing to counter the mistake i made?

here is tank info:
75gal freshwater (temp 79)
2 clown loaches
3 odessa barbs
1 festive cichlid
1 rhino pleco
and now 2 turquoise rainbows

thank you guys

I wouldn't stress.

Fish can die as a result of the stress of moving regardless of how much acclimation we give them, sometimes the journey is just too much.

On the condition your parameters are fine there isn't much else you can do.

In the future however, on the assumption a QT tank isn't possible, in addition to floating the bag slowly add water from your fish tank into the bag, I do 1 cup at a time every 10 minutes or so, until there's about double the amount of water there was originally. This will help with things like nitrate & PH levels.

Drip acclimation imo works best .get a bucket and a piece of tubing pour the bag water and fish into the bucket and make a slow drip for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours with tank water and the tubing

I liked also the drip method, which is easier. I heard the idea of adding tank water into the bag, but once the bag is open you can not float it anymore in the tank...so it is hard....

I like the drip idea. Haven't heard of doing this when adding fish but sounds brilliant

Its done that way in most fish stores and is suggested by most online sellers.

I liked also the drip method, which is easier. I heard the idea of adding tank water into the bag, but once the bag is open you can not float it anymore in the tank...so it is hard....

I just put the bag in a corner and it floats fine, use one of the tank lids to hold it in place

Roll the bag down three or four times making sure to catch some air. Now it will float just fine, like a round pontoon.

Back
Top Bottom