Made out like a bandit!! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Planned power outage again. :/ I'm starting to hate California. Lol. Generator is going. Pumps are on the fridge is on.... I need one of those home generators that will keep everything on! That be really sweet! :)

Yes. Our lawn is suffering a little... So we figured we would water the lawn and some of the plants we have outside. We extended the waste line by a few feet so we can drag it around like a hose.

So I'm thinking about tearing down my tank and starting from scratch... I inherited the tank with apstasia, calupera and some other type of algae... And it's over taking some of my live rock and I'm frustrated. I don't want to completely tear down my tank but I think I just want to start all over dry out my tank for a few days... Get any pest out and buy new sand and rock... I been battling phosphates... I cut back on lighting and feeding... I feed twice a week now. Lighting was cut to 6 hours a day. Unless my family is feeding my fish behind my back (which is highly likely bc they think I starve them if I don't feed them every day)... I'm running gfo and still my phosphates are at zero... Obviously, the algae is consuming the phosphates... My question... What's the best method in drying out my rock and making sure non of these pest are reintroduced into the tank. They are hard to eradicate. Getting pretty frustrated with this...

The southern California sun should do a good job of bleaching out the buggers...

Sorry to hear you're having such issues on the tank. Glad to hear you're not just giving up on it though, and want to get it right :)

What are you going to do with your livestock?

I have a 30 gallon QT tank I could use for my fish but I may have to figure out what to do with my corals... I don't think my tank will have much bb in it for everything after a regular cycle and if I start from scratch... I'd have to buy a whole new tank just for the corals and clams.

I enjoy the hobby but this just frustrates me!!! There's only so much apstasia x and manually taking out the culpera. Gets annoying every week... I have an other type of algae that is a huge nitrate remover but it also drives me crazy. Can't think of the name. All the greens decided to come out when all my livestock died a while back. So I'm assuming they tamed it down.

You could use prodibio to kick start the cycle. I've heard good things about them for that. I was able to complete a cycle in a couple of weeks in my 20, but that's obviously a lot less volume than yours.

I understand the frustration. Once I got the new LEDs in December, all the algae started popping up everywhere, probably since there was finally enough light for them. It's only now that I have just a few lingering strands of hair algae left...don't give up !!!

Yeah, trying not to give up! It's just a bit overwhelming zapping the apstasia... It returning ten times more and manually removing all the algae.

Thanks for tip Dari. Going to figure out my next steps in the meantime. :)

New plan...

Buying 50 lbs of pukkani dry rock from brs... Drying out my live rock until it's completely white...

Buying a new QT tank to house my fish and coral (my old one had medication put in) and I don't want to risk it...

I'm highly considering selling all my coral, anemone and clam... With the indication that pest can come with it... So they would need to QT them and dip...

Considering going bare bottom reef...
I was sold on it this week...

Redoing the plumbing. Thankfully I have my bf who can redo the PVC pipe. We talked schedule 40 piping.

Start from scratch... Rather have it the way I want then having to keep battling these issues!!! Constantly stressing over apstasia and the calupera...

So in the next few months we will be starting over!!! I'll keep ya posted!!

I have injected aptasia with baking soda and water and they die the first time, every time. Any alkalinity additive will work just fine to kill them.

Back
Top Bottom